Business offices have a need for highly skilled employees who possess the skills and confidence necessary to handle a wide variety of office tasks. The Administrative Office Professional A.A.S. degree provides strong office skills which include training in problem solving and workplace collaboration. The curriculum includes comprehensive employability skills preparation necessary for the administrative assistant to work in business, professional offices and other employing agencies.
Students will be prepared to demonstrate skills in good communication, problem-solving, event planning, effective human relations, office procedures, and use of computer applications including Excel. Students will have knowledge of social media marketing, organizational behavior, and will also have internship work experience.
To successfully complete this program, a student must complete all coursework as prescribed and maintain a 2.0 grade point average. A grade of “C” or better is required in all prerequisite courses. These include ADM 221 , ADM 154 , ADM 157 , ADM 162 , BCA 140 , BCA 152 and BCA 212 . Further, completion of the Administrative Office Professional, Diploma is required before pursuing the Administrative Office Professional AAS degree.
For more information about the Administrative Office Professional program, please visit our website at https://www.dmacc.edu/programs/btec/.
Locations: Ankeny, Boone, Carroll, Urban
Selected courses in this program are offered at other campuses.
Students start any semester.
Not all courses are offered at each campus every semester. Academic advisors are available to assist with scheduling. It is strongly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor each term.
Program Entry Requirements
- Complete an application for admission.
- Satisfy the assessment requirement.
- Attend any required information registration session.
- Completion of the Administrative Office Professional, Diploma .
To earn an Administrative Office Professional AAS degree, a student must complete all coursework as prescribed and maintain a 2.0 grade point average.
(Students must demonstrate a keyboarding speed of 25 NWPM or above, by taking a five-minute test, before enrolling in BCA 140 .)
Option 1 - Select 1 Course
Total Credits Required to Complete this AAS Degree - 67
Tuition……………………………………………………………………………………..$147.00 per credit
The costs for each program are estimates and subject to change.
Approximate total for program: $12,699*
*Program entry requirements are not included in the total approximate cost.
What Kind of Work Will You Do?
- Coordinate schedules, schedule appointments, prepare materials for meetings.
- Use/manage/update social media used within the organization.
- Give information to callers, direct visitors to destinations.
- May handle supervision of support services.
- Maybe be involved in project management
- Complete filing tasks, paper and electronic.
- Prepare correspondence, minutes of meetings, and reports.
- Perform mathematical and basic bookkeeping tasks.
- Input and process information using computer software including spreadsheets, databases, presentation graphics, publications and photo editing.
- Use the internet to conduct research and to monitor/maintain company-related social networking sites.
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
- Use e-mail for communications, scheduling meetings and maintaining contact information.
- Assist in planning, organizing and controlling information-related activities.
- Act as liaison when the employer or supervisor is unavailable.
- Assist and take direction from multiple managers and team leaders.
- Plan and coordinate business meetings and travel arrangements.
- Prepare reports.
- Use professional telephone techniques.
- Use interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Fulfill responsibilities as a member of one or more teams.
- Good judgment and common sense
- Demonstrate initiative to anticipate needs of others
- Dependable and responsible
- Good business work ethics
- Team player
- Willingness to assist others to facilitate their jobs
What Else Should I Consider about this Program or Career Choice?
- Variety of job possibilities.
- Advancement opportunities available.
- All students may participate in professional organizations.
- It may take more than five semesters to complete this degree.
- Computer and Internet access at home is helpful for completing homework assignments.
- Students may pursue the Certified Professional Secretary exam and the Microsoft Office Specialist Certification exam.
- Average starting salary $26,808 (2013-2014 Placement Report). https://www.dmacc.edu/careercenter/Pages/resources.aspx).
Des Moines Area Community College shall not engage in nor allow discrimination covered by law against any person, group or organization. This includes in employment, hiring practices or the provision of services, and harassment or discrimination based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy and marital status), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and genetic information. Veteran status in educational programs, activities, employment practices, or admission procedures is also included to the extent covered by law. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against may file a complaint through the College Discrimination Complaint Procedure. Complaint forms may be obtained from the Campus Provost’s office, the Academic Deans’ office, the Judicial Officer, or the EEO/AA Officer, Human Resources. For information about the ADA, the Section 504/ADA Coordinator may be contacted at 515-964-6857. For Title IX questions and concerns contact 515-964-6850. (2016)