May 27, 2024  
2016-2017 Course Catalog 
2016-2017 Course Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

How to Apply for Financial Aid at DMACC

Financial aid at DMACC is need-based. The College believes that the financing of an undergraduate education is a partnership between the student and college, and students should pay to the extent they are capable.

Students apply for financial aid at DMACC by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Eligibility for funds is based on a federal formula and each student’s financial situation, as well as DMACC’s cost of attendance. The following topics provide basic information concerning the financial aid awarding process at DMACC.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

One application is all it takes. Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and quick, and it gives you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college.  Students can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at

When to Apply

A FAFSA will need to be completed for each academic year.  Priority consideration will be given to students who apply by April 1st prior to the Fall Semester. Getting started on the FAFSA:

  1. Complete the FAFSA as soon after January 1 as possible.
  2. Create a FSA ID (
  3. Gather needed information (Social Security number, driver’s license number, etc.)
  4. Review all data before submitting the FAFSA. Check the student’s Social Security number and birth date. ESTIMATED tax data may be used, but it is preferred that taxes be completed before filing the FAFSA, when possible.

Financial Aid Updates on the Web

Once students have applied for financial aid, they may check on the status of their financial aid by reviewing DMACC’s Student Web Info System at Students will need their DMACC student PIN numbers.

To Obtain a DMACC PIN

To request a PIN number, or if the student has forgotten his or her PIN, contact: 1-800-362-2127, ext. 7300, or 515-965-7300or email to:

Helpful hints section:

  1. Keep together copies of all forms, letters, award notices and financial aid-related documents.
  2. Include student’s name and DMACC ID number on all correspondence.
  3. The student will be contacted by the DMACC Financial Aid Office if additional documents, such as tax transcripts, are needed.

Budget Allowances

In addition to tuition and fees, allowances are made for room and board, personal expenses, books and supplies, child care and transportation in determining financial need.

Cost of Attendance

Estimated costs for a full-time undergraduate student, based on the 2014-2015 budget, are as follows:

  Iowa Resident Nonresident

Tuition and Fees $4,290 $8,580
Books and Supplies $1,470 $1,470
Room and Board $6,656 $6,656
Personal/Misc. $2,078 $2,078
Transportation $2,560 $2,560

Total $17,054 $21,344

Current cost of attendance can be found at

Filing Request for Special Consideration

There are times, after receiving the award notification from the DMACC Student Financial Aid Office, that a student/family may find it difficult to finance their expected contributions due to changes in their financial circumstances. If this is the case, a student/family may file a Request for Special Consideration with new or additional information concerning their financial circumstances. The Request for Special Consideration and any supporting documentation should be sent to the Financial Aid office, Ankeny Campus.

Types of Aid

Federal Pell Grants

This grant is awarded if the student has filed a FAFSA, shows financial need and does not have a Bachelor’s degree. Awards may range from $626 - $5,775. The grant is limited to twelve full-time semesters.

Students should contact the DMACC Financial Aid Office concerning their eligibility.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

SEOG is available for undergraduate students who have completed and filed a FAFSA, are enrolled at least half-time and show exceptional financial need. The maximum amount is $500 for a full-time student.

Iowa Vocational-Technical Tuition Grants (IVTTG)

IVTT Grants are available for students enrolled in vocational-technical programs. The Iowa College Student Aid Commission notifies DMACC of award recipients. The maximum annual award is $1,200.


The DMACC Grant is an institutional grant that is awarded on a first come, first-served basis to students with demonstrated financial aid need. The grant is limited to an annual amount of $300.

Kibbie Grant

The Kibbie Grant Program provides need-based financial assistance to Iowa residents enrolled in career education (career-technical) and career option programs at Iowa community colleges. Grants for full-time students may cover one half of the average tuition and mandatory fees.


Student loans are available to assist students with educational expenses. Students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be enrolled at least half-time to apply for a loan.

Federal Direct Student Loan Program for Undergraduate- Subsidized and Unsubsidized

Subsidized loans are available to students with financial need. The government pays the interest on the subsidized loan during periods of enrollment and the six-month grace period. Current fixed interest rates for a subsidized loan disbursed on or after 7/1/15 and before 7/1/16 is 4.29%.

Unsubsidized loans are also available and students do not need to demonstrate financial need to receive this loan. The student is responsible for paying all interest on an unsubsidized loan. Current fixed interest rates for an unsubsidized loan disbursed on or after 7/1/15 and before 7/1/16 is 4.29%.

Repayment for both loan types begins six months after terminating enrollment or dropping to less than half-time. The maximum annual subsidized/unsubsidized Direct Loan amounts are $5,500 for freshmen and $6,500 for sophomores. Independent students may be eligible to receive additional unsubsidized loans. Entrance and exit counseling are required.

Federal Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

PLUS loans are available to parents of dependent students to help with educational cost. Parents can borrow the cost of the dependent student’s education minus any financial aid the student receives. Parents can apply for a PLUS Loan at 

Entrance Counseling

All first-time borrowers at DMACC are required to complete Entrance Counseling. Entrance Counseling can be completed online at

Exit Counseling

Students leaving or graduating from DMACC must complete the Exit Counseling requirement. It is important for students to know the amount of their loans, as well as repayment options and requirements and loan cancellation provisions. Students must complete Exit Counseling at www.student

Alternative Loans

Alternative loans are available to students and families who would not otherwise receive adequate amounts of student aid. Students may obtain additional information about Alternative Loans at

Applying for DMACC Foundation Scholarships and Outside Scholarships and Grants

DMACC Foundation Scholarships

Each year, the DMACC Foundation receives generous gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations. Fundraising efforts combined with earnings from Foundation investments provide scholarships to hundreds of students annually. These awards are granted through a competitive application process.

Most awards are based on financial need, academic achievement, or both. For a listing of Foundation scholarship awards available, visit

DMACC Foundation’s Scholarship Application Process

By applying through the Foundation online application, eligible applicants could be chosen to receive scholarships from any of our six campuses. Students can apply for a DMACC Foundation Scholarship every semester.  For more information regarding the application deadlines and the application, go to:  

Application Components Include:

  • Online form detailing personal, academic and financial information.
  • One-page essay describing the applicant’s educational and career goals, volunteer involvement, achievements and financial need. Applicants should explain how they would personally benefit from receiving scholarship support, and how they value a college education.
  • Grade verification. Application Scoring will be based on:
    • 50% Essay
    • 25% Financial Need
    • 25% Cumulative Grade Point Average

Criteria and Conditions:

  • Completed DMACC Admissions Application must be on file-OR- Applicant must be enrolled as a current DMACC student.
  • Minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA for most recent coursework. Applicants with no recorded grade within the last 10 years will be exempt from this requirement.
  • If awarded a scholarship, the applicant will be required to complete at least six DMACC credits and maintain at least a 2.0 GPA during the semester(s) of award. *Some awards may have higher requirements, which are communicated at the time of award notification, if applicable.

How DMACC Awards Are Paid

Unless otherwise stated, all awards will be applied directly to a student’s DMACC account and may be used for tuition and/or book charges at DMACC in the semester for which the award is given. Some awards are renewable for the following semesters. If a recipient fails to maintain his or her original enrollment criteria or drops out before the semester ends, he or she may be required to repay the DMACC Foundation.

Outside Scholarships and Grants Websites

Outside scholarships and grants websites are outlined at:


Federal College Work-Study Program (CWSP)

The College Work-Study Program is for students who are enrolled and show financial need. The College Work-Study Program offers part-time jobs on and off campus. You may view Federal Work Study job posting on the Financial Aid homepage under the Work Study Program.

Community Service

Students who are College Work-Study eligible may be employed as tutors for children in reading and math as well as at local non-profit community service organizations. As tutors, students may work in a child care center, a school, an after-school program or a library. Community Service opportunities are listed in the Career Center on all DMACC campuses.

Other Resources for Financial Assistance

Iowa New Choices - Boone and Carroll Campus program

The Iowa New Choices Program located at the Boone and Carroll campuses provides support to single parents who have full or joint custody of minor children, single pregnant women, displaced homemakers, and low-income Iowans enrolled in any educational program at DMACC or preparing to enter the job market. Iowa New Choices staff also assists students participating in DMACC’s Workforce Training Academy.

The support services include academic advising, assistance in applying for financial aid and scholarship searches, career assessment and planning, and referral services to various community agencies. Financial assistance may be provided in the following forms: transportation assistance for qualifying students who must travel out of their own town to attend DMACC classes; and child care assistance if not eligible for Iowa Child Care Assistance or other agency funded child care assistance.

All financial assistance depends on availability of funds.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Through a special agreement with the Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services division of the Department of Education, a vocational rehabilitation staff person is assigned to each DMACC campus. Agency services are available to eligible clients. As a part of an individual written plan requiring training to meet a student’s vocational goal, financial assistance may be available per agency guidelines.

Dislocated Workers

Adults whose jobs are being eliminated through downsizing or business closing should contact the Dislocated Worker Center in their county.


The STRIVE (Selected Training Received in Vocational Education) Program provides vocational education to special needs students from high school. Details may be obtained at

Veterans Educational Benefits

The DMACC Veterans Services Coordinator assists eligible students in receiving veterans’ education benefits, acts as a liaison between the students and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), coordinates with the State Approving Agency within the Iowa Department of Education and serves as a resource to other DMACC departments.

The Veterans Services Coordinator maintains a list of all programs approved by the VA for education benefits. Monthly benefit rates are set by Congress and vary according to Chapter of GI Bill used, eligibility criteria, and rate of pursuit. 

  • Types of veterans’ education benefits through the VA:
  • Former Active Duty veterans - Ch. 30, Ch. 33-Post 9/11
  • Current Iowa Army/Air National Guard members - Ch. 1606, Ch. 33-Post 9/11
  • Current U. S. military Reservists - Ch. 1606, Ch. 33-Post 9/11
  • Participants in the VA Vocational Rehabilitation program - Ch. 31
  • Surviving dependents/spouses of service related disabled or deceased veterans - Ch. 35

Eligible students can receive veterans’ education benefits during Fall, Spring and Summer terms at DMACC and may receive benefits enrolled at Full Time, ¾ Time, ½ Time, or less than ½ Time.

Eligible students should complete the Veteran’s Online Application (VONAPP) at prior to the beginning of the term (Fall, Spring or Summer).  This is a one-time application.  It may take up to 90 days for the VA to process the application. 

Students must notify the DMACC Veterans Services Coordinator that they are attending DMACC and that they wish to use their veterans’ education benefits.  Failure to notify the Veterans Services Coordinator may delay payments from the VA.  For more information please contact the Veterans Services Coordinator in Building 1 of the Ankeny campus by calling 515-964-6278 or visit

Iowa National Guard Education Assistance Program (NGEAP)

The Iowa National Guard Education Assistance Program (NGEAP) may pay up to 100% of tuition costs for eligible students during the fall and spring semesters.  Eligible students must be actively drilling members of the Iowa Army or Air National Guard, in good standing with their unit, who have not met the requirements of a baccalaureate degree or have already received 120 credit hours of NGEAP.  Students must complete the online application each academic year by the established deadlines by visiting or

Requirements for Continued Financial Aid Eligibility

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal regulations require that students maintain satisfactory academic progress in the program of study they are pursuing in order to receive financial aid. At DMACC, students must earn and maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00. Students must also complete coursework at a minimum cumulative rate of 67%. Financial aid includes all federal and state grants, college work-study and loans, including the Federal Direct Student Loans. Academic records will be reviewed every semester.

Financial Aid Academic Progress Standards

DMACC has two standards for measuring academic progress:

  1. The U.S. Department of Education has defined the academic standard measurements the Financial Aid Office must use when determining eligibility for financial aid. The policy must measure both grade point average (GPA) and credit hours earned. Financial aid recipients’ academic progress, ES 4300, is described here.
  2. DMACC’s standard academic policy for all students ES 4560 can be found at the following link: 

The FA-SAP standards apply to undergraduate students who wish to establish or maintain financial aid eligibility. These standards apply to a student’s entire academic record at Des Moines Area Community College whether or not financial aid was received for prior terms of enrollment.

General FA-SAP Requirements

The College’s records are reviewed at the completion of every semester of enrollment to determine compliance with the SAP policy. There are three components to the SAP policy:

  1. Minimum GPA - Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher to remain eligible for financial aid. Academic records are reviewed at the completion of every term of enrollment (Fall, Spring, Summer) to determine FA-SAP.
  2. Minimum Pace of Completion - Students must complete course work at a minimum cumulative rate of 67%. Completed course work is defined as any course for which the student receives a passing grade. Academic records are reviewed at the completion of every term of enrollment (Fall, Spring, Summer) to determine FA-SAP.
  3. Maximum Time Frame (Duration of Eligibility) - Federal regulations limit financial aid eligibility to 150% (96 credits for a two-year program) of the published length of the education program, as measured in attempted credit hours. Transfer credit hours (if available) are counted in the calculation of duration of eligibility.

For more information or examples, please visit the financial aid website noted below, or contact the Financial Aid Office:

Note:  Students who completely withdraw or fail all classes during their first term of enrollment will automatically go to Suspension. We encourage students to visit with an academic advisor or counselor and complete an Academic Improvement Plan and submit it to the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Appeals Committee for financial aid reinstatement consideration.

Treatment of Repeat and Incomplete Classes

Students may use financial aid to repeat courses that were not successfully completed. The credit hours from a repeated course are counted as attempted hours every time the course is repeated. Once the course is passed, the credit hours are counted as both attempted and completed credit hours.

Incomplete classes are counted as non-passing grades (attempted) until the instructor submits a grade.

Appealing Financial Aid Suspensions

Students who have extenuating circumstances may appeal their financial aid suspension. For details on how to appeal, see the college policy ES 4300 for complete details,

Never-Attending Process

(10th day-NA)

Prior to the 10th day of class, instructors can view their class lists online and must identify students who have never attended their class. Students will receive an email indicating the classes that they were reported as having never attended. If they have been reported as never-attending, the student is dropped from enrollment, and the student’s financial aid is adjusted accordingly. If a balance is due, a letter is sent to the student, indicating the amount and a due date. If an instructor error was made, instructions will be included within the notice concern how to re-establish enrollment within the dropped course.

Quit Attending Process


Instructors are asked to report students who have quit attending. An email is sent to the student showing in which classes they have been reported as having quit attending.  If all instructors report a student as QA, a Return of Title IV calculation (see below) is completed. The student is dropped from his or her classes and will receives a letter informing the student of any amount that may owed to the College or the Department of Education and the methods of repayment. Those students who are reported in some, but not all of their classes as QA should consider dropping those courses in order to avoid receiving a failing grade.

Financial Aid Recipients

If any amount of tuition is paid with funds from a Title IV program (federal financial aid) and the student withdraws during the established withdrawal period, the Title IV program funds will be adjusted and any unearned aid will be returned in the following order: Loans: Federal Unsubsidized, Federal Subsidized and Federal Plus. Grants: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant and Other Title IV programs. Under federal law, DMACC must return the funds as soon as possible, but no later than 45 days after DMACC determines the student’s withdrawal date.

Return of Financial Aid

Title IV Funds

A student’s financial aid is based on the number of classes the student is enrolled in and the number of days the student is enrolled and attending classes.  A student earns aid based solely on the length of time he/she attends.  When a student initiates a withdrawal (whether officially or unofficially) from one or more classes, the amount of financial aid the student is eligible to receive is affected.

The Return of Title IV (federal financial aid) funds to the federal government is based on a calculation that determines how much aid the student is eligible to receive and how much the student is no longer eligible for because he or she is no longer enrolled and attending the college. This calculation is applicable until the student has completed more than 60 percent of the semester. Once the student has completed more than 60 percent of the semester, all financial aid is considered earned.

An example of a calculation of a return of funds is available at   Here you will learn who is responsible for returning unearned financial aid funds, and in what order DMACC must return unearned funds to the federal government.

The DMACC Financial Aid Office is required to return any unearned Title IV funds that were applied towards institutional charges within 45 days in the following order:

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan

Federal Direct PLUS Loan (for parents of undergraduate students)

Pell Grant


Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant

The student will be informed by the Financial Aid Office of the type and amount of financial aid program funds that are being returned on his/her behalf. The student is required to return unearned aid that was directly disbursed to the student or on his/her behalf. Unearned federal loan funds must be repaid by the student under the terms and conditions of the promissory note. Unearned grant funds must be returned to the Department of Education.

A student must make arrangements to return grant funds within 45 days of receiving notice from the Financial Aid Office. Failure to make payment arrangements will result in the loss of financial aid eligibility.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence may be granted to a student who leaves DMACC for military reasons or for jury duty. Only one leave per academic year will be allowed. The student must return by the end of the leave of absence or be treated as a withdrawal.

Gainful Employment

Students may find gainful employment information about DMACC diplomas and certificates of specialization by visiting