Mar 29, 2023
AGV 172 - Large Animal Medicine/Surgery Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course is designed to introduce common species, husbandry and management procedures, proper restraint and handling, common procedures, medication, administration and surgical concerns for common species of domestic large animals.
Prerequisite: AGV 134 , AGV 109 , AGV 151 , AGV 166 , AGV 932
Corequisite: AGV 170
- Illustrate knowledge of husbandry practices used with large animals.
- Describe the castration procedure
- Describe the tail docking procedure
- Summarize the dehorning procedure
- Demonstrate knowledge and technique (as available) hoof trimming on ruminants and equines
- Illustrate knowledge of surgical procedures and related equipment.
- Describe the caesarian section technique
- Summarize the laparotomy technique
- Describe the dystocia treatments
- Identify common prolapsed organs
- Demonstrate the proper procedures to collect milk samples and conduct mastitis testing (CMT and/or bacterial culture).
- Demonstrate knowledge of common reproduction techniques in large animals.
- Show proper semen evaluation technique
- Discuss the procedures and purpose of cleaning the sheath in equines
- Explain timing and types of pregnancy testing
- Assist with artificial insemination
- Perform (as available) preparation of mare for vaginal examination and cervical culture
- Demonstrate understanding of equine leg injuries.
- Show proper application of equine leg and tail wraps
- Describe and perform taking of large animal X-rays
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)