Mar 29, 2023
AGV 151 - Intro Vet Tech Clinical Skills Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course introduces the student to the basics of radiology, anesthesia, surgical preparation, veterinary customer service, veterinary computer programs, veterinary recordkeeping and other skills students will use during their internship.
Prerequisite: AGV 120 , AGV 128 , AGV 129 and AGV 133
- Perform production and control of x-rays.
- Identify parts of equipment and functions.
- Discuss safety measures for handling equipment.
- Demonstrate ability to obtain and process radiographs.
- Position small animal patients.
- Demonstrate use of automatic processing.
- Categorize the stages of anesthesia.
- Identify the physiological changes that occur during the various planes of anesthesia.
- Calculate dosages.
- Establish procedure for administering.
- Explain patient care and monitoring during anesthesia.
- Outline the basic concepts of veterinary surgery.
- Identify the steps of surgical preparation.
- List the steps of surgical pack preparation.
- Identify common surgical instruments.
- Demonstrate proper cleaning and maintenance.
- Demonstrate proper sterilization techniques.
- Perform basic veterinary office procedures.
- Maintain medical records.
- Demonstrate understanding of control drug log and other logs in compliance with regulatory guidelines.
- Develop veterinary software computer skills.
- Understand and observe legal boundaries of veterinary healthcare team members.
- Demonstrate effective client communication skills(phone, face-to-face, written)
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)