Jul 21, 2019
The General Office certificate provides students with basic, entry-level skills for office support positions. These skills include document design using MS Word and also an introduction to Excel spreadsheets, Access relational databases, and PowerPoint presentations. There is very introductory exposure to HIPAA and medical terminology fundamentals. Students who complete all courses will qualify for a variety of entry-level clerical positions.
For more information about the General Office certificate, please visit out website at www.dmacc.edu/programs/btec.
Students start any semester.
Program Entry Requirements
- Complete an application for admission.
- Satisfy the assessment requirement.
- Attend any required information/registration session
To successfully complete the General Office certificate, a student must complete all coursework as prescribed and maintain a 2.0 grade point average.
Total Credits Required to Complete this Certificate - 15
Tuition……………………………………………………………………………………..$147.00 per credit
The costs for each program are estimates and subject to change.
Approximate total for program: $3,155*
*Program entry requirements are not included in the total approximate cost.
What Kind of Work Will You Do?
- Greet and give information to callers; direct visitors to destinations.
- Scan, copy and complete filing tasks, paper and electronic.
- Use the telephone to communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Complete various keyboarding tasks.
- Perform general office duties such as tending to the copier, assembling packets, handling incoming and outgoing mail, using on-line and hard copy reference materials.
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
- Ability to follow instructions and communicate well.
- Ability to work under pressure maintain good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems.
- Ability to work independently or to participate in team projects.
What Else Should I Consider about this Certificate?
- Variety of job possibilities in virtually any industry.
- Advancement opportunities available.
- Many jobs may involve repetitive tasks with a minimum of physical activity.
- Average starting hourly rate of $12-$14 per hour (March 2016 sampling of job postings, DMACC Career Center).
Des Moines Area Community College shall not engage in nor allow discrimination covered by law against any person, group or organization. This includes in employment, hiring practices or the provision of services, and harassment or discrimination based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy and marital status), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and genetic information. Veteran status in educational programs, activities, employment practices, or admission procedures is also included to the extent covered by law. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against may file a complaint through the College Discrimination Complaint Procedure. Complaint forms may be obtained from the Campus Provost’s office, the Academic Deans’ office, the Judicial Officer, or the EEO/AA Officer, Human Resources. For information about the ADA, the Section 504/ADA Coordinator may be contacted at 515-964-6857. For Title IX questions and concerns contact 515-964-6850. (2016)