Jun 03, 2023
Return to: Programs By Degree Type
The Retail Management certificate includes fundamentals in retailing and marketing, but also has a management focus to develop knowledge and skills in leadership, human resource management and public speaking. With on-the-job-training and continued education, upward mobility may be enhanced. A growing number of job openings exist for those who want a career that is both challenging and rewarding.
An added value is that this certificate will meet the certification requirements for the Western Association of Food Concessioners. Individuals employed or seeking employment in the grocery industry may apply for WAFC certification upon completion of the DMACC Retail Management certificate.
For more information about the Retail Management certificate, please visit our website at www.dmacc.edu/programs/marketing.
Option 1 - Select 1 Course
Tuition……………………………………………………………………………………..$147.00 per credit
The costs for each program are estimates and subject to change.
Students can expect to spend $100 - $150 per course on textbooks. Costs can be reduced by renting textbooks or buying e-texts.
Approximate total for program: $5,560-6,060*
* Program entry requirements are not included in the total approximate cost.
What Kind of Work Will You Do?
- Hire, train, develop and evaluate employees in a retail setting.
- Perform administrative tasks in leading a store or department.
- Assume responsibility for product inventory.
- Lead implementation of merchandising and display layouts.
- Strategically sell products and develop sales promotions.
- Work closely with coworkers and managers to identify and solve customer buying needs.
- Create, coordinate, and communicate solutions to business and customer problems.
- Support organizational marketing and merchandising strategies.
- Develop long-term profitable business relationships.
- Develop and maintain good customer relationship management strategies.
- Establish and maintain positive and productive organizational culture.
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
- Maintain good working relations with customers, employees and supervisors.
- Leadership and teamwork skills.
- Communicate persuasively.
- Identify buying needs of customers.
- Identify and solve the work problems of employees.
- Analyze problems and create solutions.
What Else Should I Consider about this Program or Career Choice?
- The Retail Management certificate offers a number of career and additional education options.
- Some employers will pay tuition for this certificate and they may help you to get additional degrees.
- You have an opportunity to plan and organize your work schedule.
- Pressure and stress may exist when deadlines and company objectives have to be met.
- Strong math background enhanced success in some retail management areas.
- Many work details and programs are executed through the use of computers and related technology.
Des Moines Area Community College shall not engage in nor allow discrimination covered by law against any person, group or organization. This includes in employment, hiring practices or the provision of services, and harassment or discrimination based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy and marital status), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and genetic information. Veteran status in educational programs, activities, employment practices, or admission procedures is also included to the extent covered by law. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against may file a complaint through the College Discrimination Complaint Procedure. Complaint forms may be obtained from the Campus Provost’s office, the Academic Deans’ office, the Judicial Officer, or the EEO/AA Officer, Human Resources. For information about the ADA, the Section 504/ADA Coordinator may be contacted at 515-964-6857. For Title IX questions and concerns contact 515-964-6850. (2016)
Return to: Programs By Degree Type