Mar 31, 2023
AGV 266 - Adv Veterinary Nursing Care Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Continues Veterinary Nursing Care with emphasis on advanced veterinary nursing procedures.
Prerequisite: AGV 166 , AGV 134 , AGV 109 , AGV 151 , and AGV 932
- Demonstrate understanding of advanced nursing procedures
- Place a stomach tube
- Discuss gastric lavage
- Administer enemas
- Calculate and administer appropriate fluid therapy
- Determine/maintain fluid infusion rate
- Monitor patient hydration status
- Review and practice IV catheter placement
- Illustrate critical care procedures.
- Understand how to maintain chest, tracheostomy and pharyngeostomy tubes
- Discuss central venous pressures
- Demonstrate ability to take a diagnostic ECG
- Understand types of feeding tubes and their maintenance
- Prepare and monitor a patient for sedation or anesthesia
- Operate anesthetic machine
- Monitor the sedated or anesthetized patient
- Place simple sutures
- Perform preparation of samples for shipping.
- Understand how to handle a rabies suspect specimen.
- Follow accepted methods of sample preparation for shipping pathogenic samples
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)