Nov 30, 2023
HSV 803 - Seminar Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Theories and values of the social sciences, including human services, are used to interpret and respond to client and agency behaviors. Written analysis is emphasized. Evaluation of theory and knowledge as it applies to internship is stressed. Offered fall, spring and summer semesters.
Prerequisite: HSV 109 , HSV 130 , HSV 286 (Minimum grade of “C”)
Corequisite: HSV 804
- Write behavioral observations or progress notes of clients at the student’s field experience which are consistent with all professional standards of human services recording.
- Observe client verbal and nonverbal behaviors.
- Describe client behaviors clearly, concisely, and factually.
- Write behavioral observations or progress notes using correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Write behavioral observations or progress notes that are free of judgmental, and discriminatory statements.
- Critique Child Sexual Abuse Prevention
- Learn the techniques for identifying child sexual abuse, tips to keep children safe, and ways to report if a child discloses child sexual abuse.
- Analyze policies and procedures within internship sites to determine protocols for child safety.
- Develop learning goals for field experience site
- Develop a minimum of 3 learning goals related to field experience site.
- Share learning goals with instructor and field experience supervisor.
- Complete final evaluation and review assessment of learning goals accomplished or not accomplished.
- Demonstrate academic and human services standards of self-discipline.
- Meet all assigned deadlines.
- Attend class regularly.
- Participate in class activities and discussion in a meaningful way.
- Maintain confidentiality of any client or personal information which may be shared in class.
- Demonstrate professional human services attitudes including respect for others.
- Demonstrate Ethical behavior
- Identify a Code of Ethics to follow (NASW, ACA,CADC,etc.)
- Apply an ethical dilemma decision model to ethical dilemmas
- Demonstrate the analysis of discrimination
- Identify how human service systems help our hurt identified populations
- Analyze how implicit bias impacts people
- Evaluate personal bias
Competencies Revised Date: 2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)