Oct 02, 2023
MAT 053 - Pre-Algebra Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 4
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Coll Prep
A review of arithmetic and an introduction to algebra. This is a college preparatory course designed to strengthen arithmetic skills and introduce basic concepts of algebra in preparation for MAT 063 . College preparatory courses cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements.
- Apply the four arithmetic operations to whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
- Apply the four arithmetic operations to whole numbers.
- Apply the four arithmetic operations to fractions.
- Apply the four arithmetic operations to decimals.
- Apply the four arithmetic operations to any expression involving whole numbers, fractions and decimals.
- Evaluate algebraic expressions using the four arithmetic operations.
- Relate number theory to arithmetic calculations.
- Write related sentences.
- Write true number sentences using < or >.
- Round numbers to a given place value.
- Apply rules for exponential notation.
- Simplify expressions using the rules for order of operations.
- Find the factors and multiples of a number.
- Find the GCF of two or more numbers.
- Find the LCM of two or more numbers.
- Execute calculations involving ration, proportion, and percent.
- Write ratios and percents in fractional notation.
- Write percents in decimal notation.
- Write ratios and proportions for verbal problems.
- Translate percent problems into proportions.
- Solve proportions using variables.
- Relate simple statistics to problems.
- Interpret data from tables, charts, and various graphs.
- Compute mean, medium, and mode.
- Convert measurements within the Metric and U.S. Customary systems of measurement.
- State the common units of measure of weight, mass, capacity, length, time and temperature.
- Use unit fractions to convert between one U.S. Customary unit to another.
- Convert from one Metric unit to another.
- Convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature scales.
- Calculate the perimeter, area, and volume of various geometric figures.
- Calculate perimeter and circumference.
- Find the area of parallelograms (including squares and rectangles), triangles, trapezoids, and circles.
- Calculate the volume of a rectangular solid, cylinder, sphere, and cone.
- Calculate perimeter and area using variables.
- Use square roots and the Pythagorean Theorem to solve right triangles.
- Simplify expressions involving the square root of a perfect square.
- Find the length of the third side of a triangle using the Pythagorean Theorems.
- Use estimation techniques to check the reasonableness of results.
- Estimate sums and difference by rounding.
- Estimate products and quotients by rounding.
- Compute with integers.
- Compare integers using <, >, or =.
- Name the additive inverse of any integer.
- Write the absolute value of any integer.
- Determine the sum of two integers.
- Determine the difference of two integers.
- Determine the product of two integers.
- Determine the quotient of two integers.
- Use the order of operations to evaluate numerical expressions.
- Simplify algebraic expressions.
- Evaluate an expression for a given value of the variable.
- Use the commutative or associative property to simplify a given expression.
- Use the distributive property to simplify an expression.
- Use the properties of 0 or 1 to simplify an expression.
- Identify the value of a given expression with exponents.
- Implement the order-of-operations rules.
- Solve first-degree equations in one variable.
- Solve linear equations involving one-step transformations using the addition property of equality.
- Solve linear equations involving one-step transformations using the multiplication property of equality.
- Solve linear equations involving two transformations.
- Simply expressions involving whole number exponents.
- Define a positive exponent.
- Define a zero exponent.
- Use exponent rules for products, quotients, and powers.
- Compute with polynomials.
- Define polynomial.
- Evaluate a polynomial, given values for the variable.
- Classify a given polynomial according to number of terms.
- Find the sum/difference of two polynomials.
- Multiply polynomials.
- Apply the order of operations to simplify polynomials.
- Graph using a number line and a rectangular coordinate system.
- Graph rational numbers on a number line.
- Plot a given ordered pair of rational numbers on a rectangular coordinate system.
- Solve word problems involving any of the above.
- Determine what information in a problem is pertinent.
- Determine what operations will be necessary in solving the problem.
- Translate word problems into equations or other strategies.
- Check the feasibility of the answer.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)