Jul 05, 2022
FLF 242 - Intermediate French II Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 4
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Core
Continued review of grammatical constructions using cultural materials. Reading, writing and conversation will be emphasized in the context of cultural issues and current events.
Prerequisite: FLF 242 or permission of instructor
- Interpret nuances of language in written and oral form.
- Identify idiomatic expressions.
- Use appropriate verb forms in the target language where their usage differs from English
- Demonstrate speaking skills which include a variety of styles.
- Use idiomatic expressions in speech.
- Use appropriate informal and formal patterns of speaking, depending on the situation
- Present factual information, in the form of a short classroom presentation.
- Converse with native speakers or non-native speakers.
- Interpret abridged or annotated versions of literary works
- Read passages from literary works with the aid of a dictionary.
- Answer questions, both written and oral, about characters, events, and themes in the works
- Write about characters, events and themes in the works
- Interpret selected aspects of the history and literature of areas where the target language is spoken
- Identify some of the major writers of the language.
- Identify some of the important historical figures of focus areas.
- Describe some of the more important literary trends or movements in the language
- Demonstrate writing skills for both formal and informal writing tasks.
- Use correct grammatical forms, including subject, verb, and adjective agreement and verb tenses
- Display variety in style, using appropriate language for formal and informal tasks
- Write a short essay on a given topic.
- Demonstrate creative expression in writing
- Write a business letter
- Write a personal letter
- Demonstrate persuasive discourse
- Argue, orally, for or against a controversial issue.
- Argue, in writing, for or against a controversial issue.
- Assess the influence of the language and culture of focus areas on American culture, history, and language
- Recognize influences from the target language on English
- Recognize influences from the focus area on American traditions, customs, and lifestyles
- Demonstrate knowledge of the culture and customs of a particular region or area where the target language is spoken
- Answer questions, in written and oral form, about a specific area.
- Give a short oral presentation about a specific area.
- Express discomfort about physical and emotional conditions.
- Describe symptoms and feelings
- Complain about circumstances relating to personal conditions.
- Express impressions about selected topics and circumstances.
- Express intentions, preferences, opinions, needs, and wishes about selected topics and circumstances
- Express various emotions, including suggesting, demanding, and complaining about selected topics and circumstances
- Discuss plans for the future
- Demonstrate academic self-discipline
- Meet assigned deadlines
- Attend class regularly
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)