Nov 29, 2023
BIO 156 - Human Biology w/lab Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Core
A study of biology that emphasizes the human body. Topics such as basic chemistry, the cell and human organ systems are included. Labs will reinforce course content. Designed for the non-science and inadequately prepared health science major.
- Comply with safety and health rules
- Explain appropriate safety procedures for the laboratory
- Demonstrate appropriate safety procedures for the laboratory
- Identify the locations of safety equipment in the laboratory room
- Demonstrate laboratory skills
- Distinguish among laboratory supplies
- Prepare solutions
- Show competence in the use of laboratory equipment
- Use the metric system
- Use laboratory microscopes
- Identify major parts of the microscope
- Demonstrate proper technique in the use of a microscope
- Demonstrate proper care of the microscope
- Identify levels of organization in the human body
- Arrange levels in proper sequence
- Identify and describe the major parts of the cell.
- Identify and describe the cell organelles.
- Identify organelle functions.
- Define a tissue.
- Define an organ.
- Identify organ systems.
- Correlate interactions among levels of organization.
- Identify the structures employed in body support and movement
- Identify microscopic components of compact bone
- Identify major bones of axial and appendicular skeletal system
- Identify microscopic components of muscle
- Identify major muscles
- Relate the functions of body support and movement
- Describe sliding filament theory of muscle contraction
- Define origin and insertion of a muscle.
- Identify difference between flexion and extension
- Discuss lever classes of the human body
- Identify structures used in body control systems
- List components of the central nervous system
- List components of the peripheral nervous system
- Describe components of a reflex arc
- Name the endocrine glands
- List hormones produced by these glands
- Identify the functions of body control systems
- Describe a nerve impulse
- Describe a reflex
- Describe the function of the spinal cord
- Identify functions associated with the special senses.
- Identify the functions of the major areas of the brain.
- Discuss the actions of the major hormones.
- Identify the structures employed for body maintenance systems
- Identify components of the digestive system
- Name components of the respiratory system
- Label components of the urinary system
- Identify components of the cardiovascular system.
- Identify components of they lymphatic/immune system.
- Identify the function of body maintenance systems
- Describe the function of the digestive system
- Describe the function of the respiratory system
- Describe the function of the urinary system
- Describe the function of the cardiovascular system.
- Describe the function of the lymphatic/immune system.
- Identify the principles governing the continuity of life
- Outline the differences between mitosis and meiosis
- List the organs making up the male and female reproductive systems.
- Describe the events in gametogenesis.
- Define conception
- Discuss methods of birth control/contraceptive techniques.
- Describe the early stages of development
- Discuss the principles of human genetics.
- Discuss the principles of human genetics
- Identify principles of evolution
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)