Feb 07, 2023
AGH 133 - Greenhouse Production I Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 4
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course investigates techniques used to produce Fall and Winter crops in a commercial greenhouse. Students will be responsible for the daily growing of a commercial greenhouse crop and its marketing. Field trips to commercial greenhouses are included in this course.
Prerequisite: AGH 132
- Analyze the different aspects of crop culture for fall and winter greenhouse crops.
- Describe crop specific management of light, temperature and media.
- Measure the impact of differing light, temperature and media scenarios
- Manage nutrition of a commerical greenhouse crop
- Prepare fertigation mixtures for different crop stages
- Monitor protting media pH and electrical conductivity
- Establish a commercial floriculture crop
- Plant a crop properly.
- Demonstrate proper pinching techniques.
- Tend a commercial floriculture crop during growth and finishing
- Adjust crop height and spacing
- Regulate temperature
- Record production information on that crop.
- Grow plants to industry specifications.
- Evaluate commerical fall and winter greenhouse operations.
- Attend field trips to commercial greenhouses.
- Assess the positives and negatives of each location.
- Differentiate key attributes of success in each greenhouse operation.
- Determine the impact of plant spacing, crop scheduling and crop selection on costs
- Develop crop schedules and production plans for the next production cycle.
- Defend crop scheduling based on current crop parameters
- Determine cultivars for the following season based on sales and quality
- Critique practices for correcting unhealthy plants
- Classify nutrient deficiences.
- Examine procedures of correcting nutrient deficiencies.
- Identify major greenhouse pests.
- Outline basic control of major pests.
- Identify fall and winter crops by botanical, common name, and cultivar groups
- Evaluate use of greenhouse products
- Assess plant performance in the greenhouse, outdoors and in mixed containers.
- Identify market shifts based on trends in society and economy
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)