Dec 07, 2022
HCM 152 - Food Preparation II Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
The study of the principles and procedures of quantity food production as they apply to salads, soups, vegetables, entrees and desserts. Emphasis on organization and recipe standardization.
Prerequisite: HCM 143 , HCM 144 , any AAS Core Math .
Prerequisite OR Corequisite: HCM 153
- Assess basic knowledge in food preparation.
- Practice proper safety and sanitation.
- List proper weighing and measuring techniques.
- Perform basic math functions.
- Analyze measurement conversions.
- Explain recipe conversions.
- Demonstrate recipe conversions.
- Critique the function and use of different knives.
- Identify food production knives.
- List proper safety techniques.
- Identify proper knife techniques.
- Compare classical knife cuts.
- List classical knife cuts.
- Discuss characteristics and uses of classical cuts.
- Compare varieties of vegetables.
- Identify different varieties of vegetables.
- Analyze differences in cooked vegetables.
- Evaluate basic stock production.
- Identify white and brown stocks.
- List fish and shellfish stocks.
- Identify vegetable stocks.
- Explain the qualities of a stock.
- Assess sauce cookery.
- Identify the proper procedure for preparing the five Grand sauces.
- Differentiate types of non-grand/classical sauces.
- List each Grand sauce.
- List non-grand/classical sauce.
- Explain the quality of the each sauce.
- Evaluate starch cookery.
- Identify types of rice, pasta and potatoes.
- List rice dishes.
- List pasta dishes.
- List potato dishes.
- Explain the quality of each starch dish.
- Critique preparation of breakfast items and egg cookery.
- Identify a variety of breakfast batter products.
- List the quality of prepared breakfast batter products.
- Identify a variety of breakfast meats.
- Explain the quality of prepared breakfast meats.
- Identify egg cookery.
- Explain the quality of prepared egg products.
- Evaluate meat cookery.
- Identify retail cuts of meat.
- Compare & Contrast cuts of meat using dry heat method and moist heat method to
- Achieve tenderness.
- Assess poultry cookery.
- Identify types of poultry.
- Explain procedure for cutting up whole chickens.
- Identify a poultry dish using moist heat cookery and dry heat cookery.
- Explain poultry cooking procedures.
- Compare fish cookery.
- Identify market forms of fish
- Identify types of fish.
- Explain the principles of fish cookery.
- Critique and explain Sustainability in the food service industry.
- Discuss through purchasing/procurement.
- Explain through waste control.
- Identify through energy conservation.
- Discuss in fabrication.
- Assess community centered purchasing.
- Explain through water conservation.
- Identify purchasing “Cents”.
- Discuss through recycling.
- Assess equipment energy use.
- Discuss being a leader in sustainable practices.
Competencies Revised Date: 2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)