Oct 02, 2023
HCM 144 - Food Preparation I Lab Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 6
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Preparation of small servings of salads, starch, cheese, egg, meat, poultry and fish products using the techniques studied in lecture. Oral and written evaluation of each product.
Corequisite: HCM 143
- Practice the fundamentals of good personal hygiene.
- List and define the fundamentals of good personal hygiene.
- Demonstrate good personal hygiene.
- Evaluate basic knowledge in food preparation.
- Demonstrate proper weighing and measuring techniques.
- Explain the function and use of different knives.
- Perform knife skills, hand tool and equipment operation, emphasizing proper safety techniques.
- Identify food production knives.
- Demonstrate knife techniques.
- Perform the use of utensils, pots and pans and demonstrate safe practices using stoves, mixers, ovens, etc.
- Define the sautéing process.
- Describe the processes of pan-frying and deep-frying.
- Define the roasting and baking processes.
- Describe the stewing and braising process.
- Define the poaching and steaming process.
- Compare plate garnishes.
- Select ingredients for fruit and vegetable plate garnishes.
- Prepare garnishes.
- Discuss characteristics of plate garnishes.
- Assess factors related to gelatin.
- Identify ingredients that retard or prevent gelation.
- Prepare gelatin products.
- Critique salads and salad dressings.
- Identify temporary and permanent emulsions.
- Identify a variety of common salad greens.
- Prepare an accompaniment salad.
- Prepare a variety of salad dressings and evaluate the quality of each.
- Prepare a main dish salad.
- Prepare and dress greens for a salad.
- Evaluate the quality of properly prepared and dressed green salad.
- Identify, describe and prepare a variety of composed salads.
- Evaluate the quality of composed salads.
- Compare and contrast varieties of vegetables and fruits.
- Identify different varieties of fruits and vegetables.
- Prepare vegetables.
- Analyze differences in cooked varieties.
- Prepare a variety of fruits, vegetables, starches, using basic cooking methods.
- Evaluate the quality of prepared fruits, vegetables, potatoes.
- Assess sauce & soup cookery.
- Demonstrate the proper procedure for preparing white sauces.
- Differentiate the types of sauces.
- Prepare a cream soup.
- Analyze the quality of the cream soup.
- Compare puddings.
- Prepare different types of pudding.
- Explain factors important in pudding preparation.
- Critique starch cookery.
- Identify types of rice and pastas.
- Prepare rice dishes.
- Prepare a pasta dish.
- Analyze cooked rice and pastas.
- Compare bread products.
- Define baking terms.
- Prepare quick breads.
- Prepare steam leavened product.
- Define and describe pate choux, its uses, method of preparation, baking and finishing.
- Prepare a paté à choux product.
- Prepare yeast breads.
- Discuss the procedure for each type of bread prepared.
- Categorize cheeses and their use.
- Identify kinds of cheeses.
- Prepare cheese dishes.
- Explain characteristics of cheese cookery.
- Compare and contrast egg cookery.
- Explain egg cookery.
- Prepare an omelet.
- Compare baked and stirred custards.
- Prepare foams.
- Summarize foam preparation.
- Compare and contrast meat cookery.
- Identify retail cuts of meat.
- Select cuts of meat to be prepared.
- Prepare cuts of meat using dry heat method and moist heat method to achieve tenderness.
- Evaluate the quality of prepared meats, and variety meats.
- Compare and contrast poultry cookery.
- Identify types of poultry.
- Demonstrate procedure for cutting up whole chickens.
- Prepare a poultry dish using moist heat cookery and dry heat cookery.
- Summarize poultry cooking procedures.
- Evaluate the quality of prepared poultry.
- Compare and contrast fish cookery.
- Identify market forms of fish.
- Identify types of fish.
- Explain the principles of fish and shellfish cookery.
- Prepare a shell fish dish. Using the basic cooking methods, prepare seafood to the proper doneness.
- Evaluate the quality of prepared seafood.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)