Dec 07, 2022
HCM 110 - Baking (lab) Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 4
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course offers instruction in baking fundamentals and procedures as applied to bread, rolls, cakes, pastries and cake decorating. Practical experience in sanitation, safety and the use of large equipment is also emphasized.
Prerequisite: HCM 143 , HCM 144 or instructor permission
- Evaluate tools and equipment used in baking.
- Identify equipment and utensils used in baking and discuss proper use and care
- Discuss food safety and sanitation requirements.
- Practice utilizing tools and equipment safely.
- Demonstrate how to operate baking equipment and utensils for specific applications.
- Assess ingredients used in baking.
- Identify baking ingredients and mixing methods under instructor’s supervision.
- Describe properties and list functions of various ingredients.
- Demonstrate proper scaling and measuring techniques.
- Practice basic math skills to recipe conversions.
- Describe bakers’ percentages, desired dough temperatures and formula yields.
- Assess various yeast leavened breads
- Define and describe the basic steps in yeast dough production.
- Explain the importance of batch weighing and precise measurement in baking.
- Prepare straight, rich, sponge and levain doughs
- Evaluate various types of yeast breads and discuss crumb and crust
- Critique quick breads
- Define and describe quick breads and the mixing methods utilized to prepare them.
- Prepare a variety of quick breads.
- Evaluate the quality of a variety of quick breads.
- Assess various pastries
- Explain the process of lamination as it applies to doughs.
- Prepare a variety of laminated dough products.
- Evaluate the quality of prepared laminated dough products.
- Evaluate a variety of pies and tarts
- Discuss the properties of different types of pastry dough.
- Define and describe the different types of pie, pastry and tart fillings and the mixing methods utilized to produce them.
- Prepare a variety of pies and tarts.
- Evaluate the quality of prepared pies and tarts.
- Critique a variety of cakes
- Discuss and define the different types of cakes and the mixing methods utilized to prepare them.
- Prepare a variety of cakes.
- Discuss types of icing, frostings and buttercreams.
- Demonstrate basic icing and decorating techniques.
- Evaluate the quality of iced and decorated cakes.
- Evaluate nutritional concerns as they apply to baking
- Discuss nutritional concerns and identify issues of concern
- Discuss recipe modification to create more nutritionally beneficial baked goods and desserts.
- Evaluate recipes with modifications and discuss textures, tastes and their differences.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)