May 21, 2022
GRT 420 - Advanced Printing Methods Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 4
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
A specialization course in offset lithography. The student will do advanced work in two,three and process color printing. This class will also cover all bindery operation including folding, cutting and stitching.
Prerequisite: GRT 400 , GRT 403
- Observe all safety rules for operating all pressroom equipment
- Identify safety considerations in press operations
- Read and comprehend material safety data sheets.
- List steps to be taken in case of injury in the lab
- Identify protective safety equipment when needed (safety glasses, gloves, ear plugs).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic operations of an offset press.
- Calibrate sheet control systems
- Calibrate image control systems
- Operate an offset press from set-up of systems to printed sheet.
- Perform a color wash.
- Print a basic 2 color spot job
- Print a basic 2 color spot job containing tight registration.
- Print a process color job
- Print a multi page signature
- Perform offset press maintenance
- Determine lubrication requirements
- Adjust dampener rollers to plate cylinder
- Adjust ink form rollers to plate cylinder
- Deglaze rollers and blankets
- Degrease plate and impression cylinder
- Back flush vacuum pump
- Develop basic offset press troubleshooting
- Identify trouble-shooting techniques
- Identify categories of press troubles
- Identify techniques for avoiding emulsification
- List the conditions that create ink drying problems.
- Identify print quality problems
- Execute basic offset press troubleshooting.
- Perform basic job planning activities.
- Calculate paper needed for a particular print job.
- Estimate the cost of the print job.
- Prepare a timeline for the print job.
- Apply bindery and finishing to print job.
- Properly cut down print job using cutter.
- Properly fold print job using folder.
- Properly bind print job using saddle stitcher.
- Apply job delivery procedures.
- Shrink-wrap elements of the print job.
- Complete job invoice.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)