May 24, 2019
WDV 341 - Intro PHP Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course will introduce PHP as a server-side scripting language. It will introduce the MySQL database and the SQL language for use with PHP. Students will embed PHP and SQL code into HTML pages and publish them to a PHP-enabled server. Students will create a web application that will allow for user login pages, as well as add, delete and update database content to web pages.
Prerequisite: WDV 101 and WDV 221
- Discuss server side scripting within a website application.
- Define server side scripting.
- Explain the role of server side scripting languages.
- Identify server side scripting languages in the industry.
- Review the strengths and weaknesses of the various server side scripting languages.
- Discuss how server side scripting is used to provide dynamic content to a website application using databases.
- Demonstrate PHP as a server side scripting language for website development.
- Define PHP.
- Explain the strengths and weaknesses of PHP.
- Identify the system requirements to run PHP scripting code.
- Explain the interaction of PHP and HTML within a website application.
- Explain the syntax structure of PHP.
- Write decision logic in PHP.
- Write for and while loops in PHP.
- Discuss the MySQL database.
- Define an SQL relational database.
- Discuss the role of the database.
- Explain the primary parts of a database.
- Discuss SQL.
- Define SQL.
- Identify the role of SQL.
- Explain the primary commands of SQL.
- Demonstrate the use of MySQL.
- Discuss the use of the PHPAdmin tool for use with MySQL.
- Create a database using PHPAdmin.
- Create tables in a database using PHPAdmin.
- Update tables in a database using PHPAdmin.
- Delete tables in a database using PHPAdmin.
- Demonstrate the use of SQL within PHP.
- Write SQL to add rows to a table.
- Write SQL to modify rows in a table.
- Write SQL to delete rows from a table.
- Write SQL to access data from the database .
- Write SQL to modify data within a table of a database.
- Use PHP, MySQL and SQL to implement the following functionality in a website application.
- Write a user signon script that will validate the username and password.
- Write a script that will access data from the database and format it for delivery to the client web page.
- Write a script that will allow the user to modify data on the database .
- Write a script that will allow the user to delete data from the database.
- Create a multi page commercially oriented website application.
- Analyze the purpose and requirements of the business.
- Identify appropriate functionality for the application.
- Investigate the required tools and techniques to implement the functionality.
- Use the concepts and techniques from the course to write the application.
- Implement the website application on an Internet server or a commercial web server.
[Add to Portfolio]