May 08, 2021
The Nurse Aide 75 Hour certificate is designed to provide the knowledge and skills needed to care for patients/residents in a variety of long-term care facilities and to be successful on the Iowa Direct Care Worker registry exam. Successful completion of the exam is required by State Legislation in order to work in a long-term care facility. The Nurse Aide 75 hour course is offered for college credit and is one of the prerequisites to the nursing program. After successful completion of the Nurse Aide 75-hour course the student would then be eligible to take the Advanced Nurse Aide course.
Location: Ames, Ankeny, Boone, Carroll, Newton, Perry, Southridge and Urban
Students Start: Fall, Spring and Summer terms. See course schedule for start dates and times.
Program Entry Requirements
Certificate Prerequisites must be met prior to registration and can be found on the website:
1. Apply for admission to DMACC
2. Complete Core Performance form
3. Criminal/Abuse Background Check Form-do not sign, DMACC will witness
4. Immunization Form as required by clinical site
5. Flu Vaccine form (October through April)
6. Forms can be found on the website: https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/health/cna
Registration requests will be made in person, by the student, at the campus the class will be held. Forms will not be accepted more than 29 days prior to the start date of the preferred class. Students who complete all forms, are cleared to register, but do not get into the desired sections, will need to resubmit all prerequisite forms to be eligible for the next class.
Tuition……………………………………………………………………………………..$143.00 per credit
The costs for each program are estimates and subject to change.
|Flu vaccine (October through April)
|Textbook and Handbook
|Uniform, shoes and equipment
|Iowa Direct Care Worker registry exam
Approximate total certificate costs: $864*
* Program entry requirements are not included in the total approximate cost.
What Kind of Work Will You Do?
• Provide personal daily cares for residents of varied long-term care facilities under the supervision of a nurse. Cares will include assistance with meals, personal hygiene, toileting, bed mobility, transfers and walking.
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
• Apply ethical/legal principles to provide care
• Practice and provide safe care to patients/residents
• Perform special procedures for the patient/resident
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Be able to perform required Nurse Aide skills (see attached performance standards)
• Student must be able to lift 50 pounds
What Else Should I Consider about this Specialist Certificate?
• Have alternate means of transportation for class
• Plan ahead for personal responsibilities (child care)
• Nurse Aides work a variety of shifts including weekends and holidays
Des Moines Area Community College shall not engage in or allow discrimination covered by law. This includes harassment based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy and marital status), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and genetic information. Veteran status in educational programs, activities, employment practices, or admission procedures is also included to the extent covered by law. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against may file a complaint through the College Discrimination Complaint Procedure. Complaint forms may be obtained from the Campus Provost’s office, the Academic Deans’ office, the Judicial Officer, or the EEO/AA Officer, Human Resources. For information about the ADA, the Section 504/ADA Coordinator can be contacted at 515-964-6857. For Title IX questions and concerns contact 515-964-6850.