Sep 20, 2021
The Advanced Nurse Aide Certificate provides an opportunity to gain the additional competencies and clinical experiences needed to seek employment in a hospital. The program is designed for CNA’s who have completed the Nurse Aide 75 hour state approved course. Upon successful completion, job opportunities include, but are not limited to, EKG tech, Emergency Tech, Scope Tech, Surgery Tech, and OB Tech. The agency or hospital will provide additional training in these specialized areas.
Location: Ames, Ankeny, Boone, Carroll, Newton, Perry, Southridge and Urban
Fall, Spring and Summer terms. See course schedule for start dates and times.
Program entry requirements:
Certificate Prerequisites must be met prior to registration requests
1. Apply for admission to DMACC
2. Complete HSC 172 or an Iowa State-approved 75-hour nurse aide class (bring a copy of your completion certificate or transcript)
3. Physical and Immunization Form as required by clinical site
4. Criminal/Abuse Background Check Form-do not sign, DMACC will witness
5. Flu Vaccine form (October through April)
6. Health Care Provider or Professional Rescuer CPR certification (bring a copy of your card) Online CPR Certification will not be accepted.
7. Forms can be found on the website: https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/health/cna/Pages/advnurseaide-requirements.aspx
Registration requests will be made in person, by the student, at the campus the class will be held. Forms will not be accepted more than 29 days prior to the start date of the preferred class. Students who complete all forms, are cleared to register, but do not get into the desired sections, will need to resubmit all prerequisite forms to be eligible for the next class.
Tuition……………………………………………………………………………………..$143.00 per credit
The costs for each program are estimates and subject to change.
|Flu vaccine (October through April)
|Textbook and Handbook
|Uniform, shoes and equipment
|Iowa Direct Care Worker registry exam
Total approximate cost certification: $1,124*
*Program entry requirements are not included in the total approximate cost.
What Kind of Work Will You Do?
• Provide personal daily cares and assist the nurse with skills for the patients/clients of varied acute care units such as • • Medical/
Surgical, ER, OB, Pediatrics and Cardiac Care.
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
* Provide safe care in acute care setting
* Care for patients on special units
* Provide/assist the nurse with special procedures.
* Good communication skills
* Be able to perform required Advanced Nurse Aide skills (see attached performance standards)
* Student must be able to lift 50 pounds
What Else Should I Consider about this Program or Career Choice?
* Have alternate means of transportation for class
* Plan ahead for personal responsibilities (child care)
* Nurse Aides work a variety of shifts including weekends and holidays
Des Moines Area Community College shall not engage in or allow discrimination covered by law. This includes harassment based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy and marital status), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and genetic information. Veteran status in educational programs, activities, employment practices, or admission procedures is also included to the extent covered by law. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against may file a complaint through the College Discrimination Complaint Procedure. Complaint forms may be obtained from the Campus Provost’s office, the Academic Deans’ office, the Judicial Officer, or the EEO/AA Officer, Human Resources. For information about the ADA, the Section 504/ADA Coordinator can be contacted at 515-964-6857. For Title IX questions and concerns contact 515-964-6850.