Sep 20, 2021
The Emergency Medical Technician certificate is designed to provide an introductory learning experience for persons interested in the field of pre-hospital emergency medicine. This course includes practical and computer-based testing in the classroom, as well as clinical and field experience in area hospitals and with local EMS agencies. National Registry certification testing will be available upon successful course completion in both the cognitive and hands-on psychomotor skills areas. Area fire departments and EMS agencies, as well as some hospital emergency departments, urgent care clinics and industrial settings utilize EMTs.
For more information about the Emergency Medical Technician certificate, please visit our website at www.dmacc.edu/programs/emergencytech.
Program Entry Requirements
- Complete an application for admission.
- Students must possess a CPR card that is either American Heart Association Healthcare Provider (offered by DMACC twice a month on the Ankeny campus) or American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer to enroll. No other cards will be accepted.
- Students must also show a high school diploma or GED.
The Emergency Medical Technician course requires students to undergo a criminal history background check at a cost of $15. This cost is included in the course tuition. Students may be denied the opportunity to obtain certification with the State of Iowa, upon successful completion of the course, based on the results of the background check. This decision to deny certification rests solely with the Iowa Department of Public Health- Bureau of EMS and Trauma Services.
Tuition……………………………………………………………………………………..$143.00 per credit
The costs for each program are estimates and subject to change.
|Criminal Background Check Fee
|Practical Exam Fee
|NREMT Testing Fee
|State of Iowa EMS Application Fee
Approximate total for program: $1,298*
* Program entry requirements are not included in the total approximate cost.
What Kind of Work Will You Do?
• Provide emergency treatment to victims of accidents or illness in a pre-hospital setting.
• Assess, monitor and manage the condition of the patient.
• Apply and utilize the appropriate emergency equipment based on patient presentation.
• Perform CPR if needed.
• Stabilize patient prior to and during transport to a hospital.
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
• Work in high stress situations.
• Take direction from medical team.
• Communicate both orally and in written form.
• Demonstrate proficiency in all skills taught in the course.
• Stand, sit or kneel for prolonged periods of time.
• Be able to move and carry equipment up to 50 pounds.
What Else Should I Consider about this Specialist Certificate?
• Irregular hours, nights and/or holidays, and weekends.
• Criminal background checks will be completed on each student. Criminal convictions or documented history of abuse may prevent students from participating in clinical/field education experiences. Students unable to participate in clinical or field education will be unable to complete this class for certification with the State of Iowa.
• See the attached Iowa Core Performance Standards for Health Care Career Programs.
Des Moines Area Community College shall not engage in or allow discrimination covered by law. This includes harassment based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy and marital status), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and genetic information. Veteran status in educational programs, activities, employment practices, or admission procedures is also included to the extent covered by law. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against may file a complaint through the College Discrimination Complaint Procedure. Complaint forms may be obtained from the Campus Provost’s office, the Academic Deans’ office, the Judicial Officer, or the EEO/AA Officer, Human Resources. For information about the ADA, the Section 504/ADA Coordinator can be contacted at 515-964-6857. For Title IX questions and concerns contact 515-964-6850.