May 08, 2021
The purpose of the Database Specialist certificate is to add to the specialization of study at DMACC. This certificate can also help the student prepare for Oracle certification as an Oracle Application Developer, which is desirable for positions in the database area.
For more information about the Database Specialist certificate, please visit our website at https://www.dmacc.edu/it/Pages/cis.aspx.
Students may start any semester
Program Entry Requirements
- Complete an application for admission.
- Satisfy the assessment requirement.
- Attend any required information/registration session.
To earn a Database Specialist certificate, a student must complete all required coursework as prescribed and maintain a 2.0 grade point average.
Option 1 Courses - Select 1 Course
Total Credits Required to Complete this Certificate - 18
Tuition……………………………………………………………………………………..$143.00 per credit
The costs for each program are estimates and subject to change.
Approximate total for program: $3,459*
* Program entry requirements are not included in the total approximate cost.
What Kind of Work Will You Do?
• Analyze problems and apply technical knowledge to facilitate the design of solutions/resolutions.
• Collaborate with clients to identify and assess user requirements.
• Define and document business requirements.
• Participate in a team environment to meet deadlines and to make quick and accurate judgments.
• Work with system database administrators to design logical and physical data models.
• Maintain and provide functional support for implemented applications.
• Support customer analysis of data by proposing, developing, implementing and maintaining cost-effective database solutions.
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
• Meet deadlines and handle pressure in a fast-paced work environment.
• Great oral and written communication skills.
• Concentrate for long period of time.
• General business knowledge, self-starter, motivation, work without supervision.
• Excellent problem-solving skills/logical reasoning and critical thinking.
• Strong programming discipline and general knowledge of relational database management systems.
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently both as an individual and in a team environment.
What Else Should I Consider about this Specialist Certificate?
• Provides the opportunity to prepare for certification as an ORACLE application developer through ORACLE Corporation.
What are the salary expectations?
The median annual wage for database administrators (DBAs) was $77,080 in May 2012. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $42,930, and the top 10 percent earned more than $118,720. The wages for DBAs vary with the industry in which they work. Salary Information Source: U.S. Bureau Of Labor Statistics http://www.bls.gov/home.htm
Des Moines Area Community College shall not engage in or allow discrimination covered by law. This includes harassment based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy and marital status), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and genetic information. Veteran status in educational programs, activities, employment practices, or admission procedures is also included to the extent covered by law. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against may file a complaint through the College Discrimination Complaint Procedure. Complaint forms may be obtained from the Campus Provost’s office, the Academic Deans’ office, the Judicial Officer, or the EEO/AA Officer, Human Resources. For information about the ADA, the Section 504/ADA Coordinator can be contacted at 515-964-6857. For Title IX questions and concerns contact 515-964-6850.