Aug 08, 2022
The Office Specialist certificate provides students with basic entry-level skills for office support positions. These skills include computer operations, business English, human relations and office calculators. Students who complete all courses will qualify for a variety of entry-level clerical positions.
To successfully complete this program a student must complete all coursework as prescribed and maintain a 2.0 grade point average. A grade of “C” or better is required in the first course of a sequential course offering before enrolling in the second-level course of the sequence. This includes ADM 157 and BCA 131 .
For more information about the Office Specialist certificate, please visit our website at https://www.dmacc.edu/programs/btec/.
Locations: Ankeny, Boone, Carroll, Urban
Students start any semester
Not all courses are offered at each campus every semester. Academic advisors are available to assist with scheduling.
Program Entry Requirements
It is suggested to meet with an academic advisor prior to applying for this program.
- Complete an application for admission.
- Satisfy the assessment requirement.
- Attend any required information/registration session.
- Using the DMACC testing center, demonstrate a minimum keyboarding speed of 35 nwpm (net words per minute) on a 5-minute timed writing.
To earn an Office Specialist certificate, a student must complete all required coursework as prescribed and maintain a 2.0 grade point average.
(Students must demonstrate a keyboarding speed of 25 NWPM or above by taking a five-minute test before enrolling in BCA 131.)
Tuition……………………………………………………………………………………..$143.00 per credit
The costs for each program are estimates and subject to change.
Approximate total for program: $4,140*
* Program entry requirements are not included in the total approximate cost.
What Kind of Work Will You Do?
• Schedule appointments, give information to callers, direct visitors to destinations.
• Read and route incoming mail and e-mail.
• Complete various keyboarding and filing tasks.
• Prepare correspondence, minutes of meetings and staff reports.
• May be assigned basic bookkeeping tasks.
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
• Work well on your own and with other people.
• Read and follow directions carefully and learn new techniques.
• Use the following equipment: computer and calculator.
• Apply computer and word processing knowledge.
• Perform basic office duties.
• Apply knowledge in business math, grammar and spelling.
• Good interactive and collaborative skills
What Else Should I Consider about this Specialist Certificate?
• It may take more than one semester to complete this certificate.
• Basic math skills are required of all students.
• Many jobs may involve repetitive tasks with a minimum of physical activity.
• Average starting salary $20,140
Des Moines Area Community College shall not engage in or allow discrimination covered by law. This includes harassment based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy and marital status), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and genetic information. Veteran status in educational programs, activities, employment practices, or admission procedures is also included to the extent covered by law. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against may file a complaint through the College Discrimination Complaint Procedure. Complaint forms may be obtained from the Campus Provost’s office, the Academic Deans’ office, the Judicial Officer, or the EEO/AA Officer, Human Resources. For information about the ADA, the Section 504/ADA Coordinator can be contacted at 515-964-6857. For Title IX questions and concerns contact 515-964-6850.