Oct 04, 2023
HSV 135 - Women’s Issues Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Open
This course explores selected concerns that women are likely to bring into a counseling situation. Topics include sex roles, gender and socialization, and their impact on women’s lives.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of American feminism.
- Define the word feminist
- Explain the American Women’s rights movement and achievements of this movement
- Identify gender inequalities that still exist in America today.
- Critique different theoretical perspectives that influence feminism.
- Identify types of feminism: liberal, cultural, Marxist, Radical and Post Modern
- Explore different feminist theory and influences they have
- Compare and contrast theories.
- Evaluate Gender Stereotypes and Gender differences
- Explore gender role stereo types and attitudes
- Review gender differences regarding behavior
- Discuss impact of gender stereotyping and differences have on women
- Discuss differences of the female experience through-out her lifespan.
- Describe gender differences in infancy
- Describe gender differences in Childhood
- Describe gender differences in Adolescence.
- Describe Gender differences in Adulthood
- Describe gender differences in Middle Age
- Describe gender differences in Old Age
- Distinguish Women’s abilities, achievement and motivation
- Identify female contributions to education, work, and family.
- Describe female educational attainment
- Explore women’s issues at work (i.e. pay inequity, male dominated fields, male structures, lack of women leaders, etc.)
- Explain biological influences, psychology, and health issues specific to Women
- Identify genetic makeup and sex hormones
- Identify health risks for women
- Identify health care discrimination and health needs specific to women
- Discuss social issues such as abortion, birth control, etc.
- Evaluate Female Sexuality
- Summarize common fallacies of female sexuality
- Explore psychological and physiological aspects of sexuality
- Review sexual disorders and therapies.
- Compare and contrast gender similarities and differences around sexual activity
- Describe mental health issues among women
- Identify mental health disorders that impact women along with the consequences and treatment of such disorders.
- Identify issues of substance abuse and the impact.
- Identify issues of abuse (sexual, physical and emotional) and the impact.
Competencies Revised Date: 2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)