MC311 - Public Records Request
Section: Management of the College
In accordance with Iowa Code, Chapter 22, the College acknowledges and takes seriously its responsibility to open government and the public’s right of access, and shall respond orderly and expeditiously to requests for examining or receiving copies of public records it maintains.
Requests for Public Records
- All College records shall be open to public examination except those specifically exempted by Iowa Code, Section 22.7; judicial decisions under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Regulations Act (FERPA); Code of Federal Regulations, Title 43, Part 99.3; and other applicable laws or rulings.
- The Board secretary shall be custodian of College’s records, and shall respond promptly to requests for examining and receiving its public records.
- The public access request form is available at: https://www.dmacc.edu/about/Pages/publicrecords.aspx
- If no public record contains information related to a request, the Board secretary shall inform the requester. The College is not required to create information related to any requests.
- Examining and copying public records shall occur during regular College administration offices hours under the custodian’s or the custodian’s authorized designee’s supervision. Persons wishing to examine College public records should contact the Board secretary who will schedule appointments as soon as is reasonably practical, depending on specific requests.
- The Board secretary shall seek legal advice before allowing or refusing requests to examine select legally confidential public records.
The custodian is authorized by Iowa Code, Section 22.3 to charge reasonable fees for services that include supervising examinations, copying, mailing, or electronically submitting records. The custodian shall provide reasonable numbers of copies, and determine fees not exceeding actual costs of providing services. The custodian shall require pre-payment of services.
Adopted: October 9, 2017
September 14, 2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)