Feb 28, 2024
ES4730 - Inter-library Loan (ILL)
Section: EDUCATIONAL SERVICES PROCEDURES
SubSection: LIBRARY SERVICES
Master List Section: Student Services
- Institutional Regulations
The purpose of Inter-library Loan (ILL) is to support the instruction, study, college business, and/or research of DMACC faculty, staff, and students. Books, journal articles, theses, and other research materials not owned by the DMACC Libraries may be borrowed through Interlibrary Loan from other libraries. DMACC reserves the right to refuse an ILL request if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the request would involve violation of federal copyright laws or OCLC ILL guidelines.
Consult with the DMACC Libraries website or campus library staff to place requests.
- Time Requirements
Book requests usually leave the DMACC Libraries within 1-2 working days after receiving them, and typically arrive at the DMACC Library within 4-7 business days. Books received via ILL will be held for 7 days after notification has been sent to the student/faculty/staff. Loan periods for books are set by the lending library and range from 2-6 weeks. Books received via ILL will be checked-out from and returned to a DMACC Library. Renewals are occasionally granted by the lending library.
Article requests usually leave the DMACC Libraries 1-2 working days after receiving them, and are typically delivered via DMACC email in 1-3 business days. Access restrictions may apply (e.g. you may have only 10 days to access & download the article).
Notifications are sent via DMACC email, when a book/article has arrived, or if a request cannot be fulfilled. Courtesy and overdue notices to alert users to a book that is coming due or overdue are also sent to DMACC email addresses.
Library patrons may be billed for replacement costs, and a Hold placed on the student’s account, if a borrowed item is damaged or not returned. See BS5834 Collection of Library Assessments.
- Restrictions & Limits
- Faculty, staff, and students may request up to 5 items at a time, via ILL. (Intra-campus requests for DMACC owned items are also included in this number.)
- Books currently used as textbooks for a DMACC course may not be requested/borrowed via ILL.
- Items borrowed via ILL cannot be placed on course reserve.
- Interlibrary loan privileges may be revoked if a library patron neglects to use the borrowed materials, does not return ILL materials, and/or has other DMACC library privileges blocked.
Adopted: July 1, 1994
April 16, 2019
Approved for Catalog: Executive Vice President, College Operations
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)