Feb 28, 2024
ES4570 - Classroom Participation as a Factor in Grading
Section: EDUCATIONAL SERVICES PROCEDURES
SubSection: STUDENT RECORDS
Master List Section: Student Services
- Institutional Regulation
It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of the role classroom participation plays in satisfactory progress and the final grade for the course, as explained in the course syllabus for each course. It is the institutional expectation that students will attend and participate in the classes for which they are enrolled
- DMACC will give reasonable notice to students regarding classroom participation as a factor in grading.
- DMACC will comply with Federal Title IV and State regulations governing administration of all student financial assistance programs and the requirement of class attendance.
- Classroom Participation as a Factor in Grading:
- Students will be informed by way of the course syllabus of the instructor’s grading practice. If the instructor deems regular classroom participation to be necessary to satisfactory progress, and if the lack of regular classroom participation due to absenteeism will affect the final grade for the course, this must be stated in the syllabus.
- If the grading practice as stated in the course syllabus includes points for classroom participation, denial of points or percentages for lack of classroom participation due to absenteeism shall be acceptable.
- The academic penalty for lack of classroom participation due to absenteeism should reflect the impact of the lack of classroom participation on satisfactory progress.
- No distinction will be made between lack of classroom participation due to approved absence and lack of classroom participation due to unapproved absence.
- Students shall be informed by way of the course syllabus of the instructor’s make-up practice. Failure to complete a make-up assignment within a reasonably designated time shall be grounds for failure of that assignment.
Adopted: August 28, 1996
August 1, 2003
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)