May 27, 2023
ES4140 - Career Technical Education (CTE) Special Admission
Section: EDUCATIONAL SERVICES PROCEDURES
SubSection: ADMISSIONS AND RECRUITMENT
Master List Section: Student Services
- Institutional Regulation
- To outline the procedure allowing students to be admitted to a vocational-technical program at some point other than the first term of the prescribed sequence of courses.
- A Vocational-Technical Admission Restart is defined as a process for students to be re-admitted to the same program of study in which they had been previously enrolled.
- A Vocational-Technical Special Start is defined as the process for students to be admitted to a Vocational-Technical program at a point determined by their previously earned credits or prior experience.
- Procedure for a Restart
- Students will request a CTE Special Admission form from the Student Services Office on each campus or the Academic Dean’s office.
- Students should inquire of the Program Chairperson/Director about space availability in their program, prior to completing the CTE Special Admission form.
- Students must order a copy of their official transcripts. Students will attach any supporting documentation that would be helpful.
- Students applying for a restart whose academic standing was ‘conditional enrollment’ or ‘academic suspension’ will need to complete an “Academic Improvement Plan (AIP)” with an academic advisor prior to meeting with the Program Chairperson/Director.
- If there are requirements specified, students will complete the requirements and provide verification completion to the Program Chairperson/Director. The Program Chairperson/Director will sign that these requirements have been met and indicate if there is space available in the program.
- Students must meet with the Program Chairperson/Director to learn if there are requirements that must be fulfilled prior to readmission to the program. The Program Chairperson/Director wil work with the Admissions Office to re-admit the student.
- The Program Chairperson/Director will notify the students of the status of their restart request and notify the admissions processing staff.
- The Program Chairperson/Director will notify the Admissions Office of the student’s restart request status.
- Procedure for a Special Start
- Students will pick up a CTE Special Admission form and complete a DMACC Admission Application.
- Students complete Part 1 of the CTE Special Admission form.
- If students plan to use work or life experience for special admission, they need to attach documentation of this experience to the CTE Special Admission Form. If they wish to receive credit for this experience they need to follow the Alternative Credit procedure (ES4544 ).
- If students plan to use previously earned college credits for the Special Start, they must have official transcripts sent to the Admission Processing Office.
- The Admissions Processing Staff will coordinate the collection of documentation, and refer the materials to the Program Chairperson/Director.
- The Program Chairperson/Director will visit with students about space availability.
- The Program Chairperson/Director will review any previously earned credits and experience documentation and make recommendations regarding placement in the program.
- The Vocational-Technical Special Admission form will be sent to the Credentials Office for an official credit evaluation based on above recommendations (#5).
- After the transcripts are evaluated, Credentials will send the results to the Program Chairperson/Director. The Program Chairperson/Director will complete Part II taking into consideration the applicants transcript evaluation and the availability of space in the program.
- Students sign Part III of the form to confirm their understanding of the requirements needed to complete the special start process.
- If there are requirements specified, students will complete the requirements and provide verification of completion to the Program Chairperson/Director. The Program Chairperson/Director will sign that requirements have been met and indicate if there is space available in the program.
- The Program Chairperson/Director will complete Part IV and send the form to the Admissions Processing office. The Program Chairperson/Director will notify the students, in writing, of the status of their Special Start request and notify the Admissions Processing staff. If seats are not available, students should meet with the Program Chairperson/Director for discussion of possible alternatives.
May 10, 2022 - Cross-referenced to SA Policy 503.
Adopted: July 1, 1994
August 1, 2004
December 1, 2021 - Added form link to procedure.
September 28, 2022 - Changes made that are on the attached document. All changes were submitted by Angie Collum.
Related Form: Vocational-Technical Special Admission (dmacc.edu)
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)