Feb 28, 2024
ES4077 - Online Course Development Procedure
Section: EDUCATIONAL SERVICES PROCEDURES
SubSection: INSTRUCTIONAL ADMINISTRATION
Master List Section: Student Services
To define the rules and procedures for the payment of the first time development of Online courses, including Web Blended courses.
- Institutional Regulation
Des Moines Area Community College encourages the offering of courses in various methods to reach our students, including Distance Learning. Des Moines Area Community College realizes that the development of these online courses takes extra time for faculty. The Online Course Development stipend is established to acknowledge the extra time and demand of distance learning development.
All faculty who teach credit courses at Des Moines Area Community College will be eligible to participate in the Online Course Development process.
The Online Course Development Program is administered under the direction of the Director of Distance Learning.
- Application Procedure
- The faculty member must complete the required online training prior to submitting an application for development.
- Complete the Online Course Development application.
- Step 1 - Contact the Distance Learning department to verify the course is eligible to be delivered online.
- Step 2 - Complete the Online Course Development Application and obtain the required signatures. Submit the application to the Distance Learning department.
- Step 3 - A Distance Learning instructional designer will create a course development shell and contact the faculty member with information regarding the design of the course.
- Step 4 - The Content Area Design Team (ES4076) will finalize the development of the course by meeting with an instructional designer for the purpose of reviewing the course against the Online Course Checklist (located on the Online Learning website) and receiving approval on the development.
- Deadline for Application Completed applications may be submitted to the Distance Learning department at any time. Work on the course must be completed one month prior to the start of the semester in which it will be offered in order to address any platform issues.
- New online course development will be funded at $500 per credit hour. Release Time is not available for Online Course Development. If an exception to that is required, the appropriate supervisor and the Vice President of Academic Affairs must approve this prior to the beginning of the project.
- Payment to the applicant will be made when all requirements have been met as outlined in the application and certified by the Distance Learning department.
- All adjunct development time will be tracked using the Adjunct Time Tracking Sheet included in the Online Course Development Application and submitted to the Distance Learning department.
- Course Design Certification
Requirements The course design must be developed in accordance with this procedure and ES4076 and will adhere to the Online Course Checklist before the course can be taught online and the payment processed.
Adopted: July 1, 1991
July 1, 2018
Related Form: Award & Completion of On-Line Courses (dmacc.edu)
Approved for Catalog: Executive Vice President, College Operations
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)