Feb 22, 2024
HR3780 - Veterans Day Leave
Section: HUMAN RESOURCES PROCEDURES
Master List Section: Human Resources
- Institutional Regulations
- As outlined in Iowa Code section 91A.5A, each employee, who is a veteran as defined in Iowa code section 35.1, will be provided with time off for Veterans Day, November 11, if the employee would otherwise be required to work on that day.
- An employee who wishes to request Veterans Day leave shall request permission from the immediate supervisor as far in advance as possible. The employee shall request prior approval according to procedures established by the supervisor. The employee shall also provide DMACC with a federal certificate of release or discharge from active duty or such similar federal document for purposes of determining the employee’s eligibility for the leave.
- DMACC shall notify employees requesting Veterans Day leave if they will be provided paid or unpaid time off. The notice will be given by the employee’s supervisor at least 10 days prior to Veterans Day or as soon as practical after the leave is requested.
- If it is determined that the request for time off for Veterans Day cannot be approved, DMACC will deny time off to the minimum number of employees needed in order to maintain minimum operational capacity.
- If leave is approved, employees may use either vacation leave or personal business leave for paid Veterans Day leave. If neither vacation leave nor personal business leave is available, Veterans Day Leave will be approved as leave without pay.
Policy HR426 - Employee Leave
Adopted: September 2, 2010
September 1, 2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)