Oct 03, 2023
HR3725 - Bereavement Leave
Section: HUMAN RESOURCES PROCEDURES
Master List Section: Human Resources
- Institutional Regulations
- Regular full-time employees shall be eligible for 5 days (40 hours) of Bereavement Leave per fiscal year.
- Regular part-time employees shall be eligible for a prorated share of Bereavement Leave based upon their FTE.
- Bereavement Leave is granted for attendance at funerals, visitations, or other purposes directly related to a death of a person. If time away from work for visitation or attendance at the funeral of a Regular employee has been approved by the supervisor, no leave usage shall be required.
- Bereavement Leave Accrual
- Employees shall be eligible for their full allotment of Bereavement Leave at the beginning of the fiscal year.
- Employees hired on or after January 1 shall receive 2.5 days (20 hours) of Bereavement Leave, or half of their prorated share, in their initial fiscal year of employment.
- Bereavement Leave is not cumulative and unused days may not be carried into the next fiscal year.
- Bereavement Leave Usage
- Support Staff, Confidential Clerical, IES Administrative Support, and Trail Point Support employees may use Bereavement Leave in one-hour increments.
- Administrative/Professional, IES Administrative Professional, and Faculty Employees may use Bereavement Leave in half or full-day increments.
- Support Staff, Confidential Clerical, IES Administrative Support, and Trail Point Support employees may use Bereavement Leave only for immediate family members during the first 90 calendar days of their probationary period. Immediate family members shall be defined as spouse, children, step-children, parents, and step-parents.
- Employees may use Bereavement Leave only to the extent that it is available.
- Bereavement Leave Approval
- An employee who wishes to use Bereavement Leave shall request permission from the immediate supervisor as far in advance as possible. The employee shall request prior approval according to procedures established by the supervisor. Bereavement Leave usage shall be reported on Employee Web,
Policy HR426 - Employee Leave
Adopted: October 1, 2002
November 1, 2007
November 1, 2008
November 1, 2009
October 1, 2014
February 21, 2017
March 20, 2018
September 1, 2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)