Feb 21, 2024
HR3455 - Overload for Exempt Regular Faculty Employees
Section: HUMAN RESOURCES PROCEDURES
Master List Section: Human Resources
- Institutional Regulations
- Regular Faculty employees (Teaching Faculty, Counselors and Librarians) are exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) because they are paid on a salaried basis and meet the FLSA professional exemption test.
- Regular Faculty employees shall receive overload pay when they exceed a full load in a given term.
- Regular part-time Faculty employees may be scheduled for an overload during either Fall or Spring semester of an academic year but not during both terms. They may also be scheduled for an overload during Summer term.
- Regular full-time Faculty overload occurs when an employee exceeds 16 ECH’s in Fall or Spring term or 11 ECH’s during Summer term.
- Regular full-time Librarians overload shall be paid from 16 ECH’s in Fall or Spring term or 11 ECH’s in Summer term. Regular full-time Counselors overload shall be paid from 15.5 ECHs in Fall or Spring term or 10.5 ECHs in Summer term. All other Regular full-time Faculty overload shall be paid from 15 ECH’s in Fall or Spring term or 10 ECH’s in Summer term.
- Overload shall be paid at the negotiated overload rates and if multiple rates are involved, it shall be paid at the highest rate.
- When it can be anticipated that a teaching faculty employee will be underloaded in the Spring, load may be averaged over Fall and Spring if mutually agreed upon by the Teaching Faculty employee and the Provost/Dean/Director. This means that any Fall load over 16 ECH’s shall be held until Spring term and then added to the Spring load. This may or may not result in an overload for Spring.
- Overload pay shall be authorized on a faculty Overload Pay Authorization form with approval required by the Provost/Dean/Executive Director.
Policy HR419 - Wages
Adopted: October 1, 2002
November 1, 2007
November 1, 2012
February 1, 2016
September 1, 2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)