Feb 28, 2024
HR3323 - Minor Children of Employees on Campus
Section: HUMAN RESOURCES PROCEDURES
SubSection: GENERAL INFORMATION
Master List Section: Human Resources
- Institutional Regulations
- Minor children under the care of employees may visit College offices and facilities for limited periods of time. Children must be constantly supervised by the employee responsible for the child or another responsible adult while on DMACC property.
- To protect the safety of young visitors, and to avoid disruptive behavior, children (defined as anyone under the age of 18 who is not currently enrolled as a DMACC student, employed by DMACC, or enrolled in or attending a DMACC sponsored program) must be under constant supervision of a responsible adult while on DMACC property This means, specifically, that there must be an unobstructed line-of-sight between the child and the adult responsible for their care. Children taking part in organized, scheduled activities, those who have been admitted to DMACC, dual enrolled high school students and children employed by DMACC may be on campus without adult supervision.
- Children are not allowed into classrooms, laboratories, computer labs, studios or clinical settings, even if supervised without the express and advanced consent of the faculty member, Dean, Provost or other administrative person responsible for that room, etc…
- Children under the care of employees may visit College offices and facilities during the work day for brief, limited periods of time, with the approval of the supervisor.
- Children under the care of employees may not be on campus for extended periods of time during employee work hours in lieu of other child care arrangements.
- On the Ankeny Campus, procedures related to Trail Point include:
- Members ages 12 and under must be under the supervision of their parent or guardian at all times. Supervision can include supervision by Trail Point staff while the parent is engaged in recreation activities as a Trail Point member or guest.
- Trail Point members, between the ages of 13 and 17, may have unsupervised access to the Trail Point facility under Trail Point policy. This does not include the Student Center or any other DMACC facility or grounds unless set forth in other portions of this policy.
- Unattended children between the ages of 13 and 17 are invited to utilize the food vendors in the adjacent Student Center Food Court but need to return to the seating area in front of the Trail Point main desk to eat once they get their food from the vendors. If the unattended children remain in the Student Center area they will be asked by Security Officers and/or the Trail Point Director on duty to return to the seating area in front of the Trail Point front desk. If there is a disruption of any kind, Trail Point staff will contact parents/guardians in accordance with Trail Point policy.
- Except as set forth above, unattended children at any DMACC facility or grounds:
- The parent/guardian will be called when a child is found in non-compliance with the procedures.
- The child will be turned over to Campus Security or Campus Provost/Provost Designee until the parent/guardian is located.
- If the unattended child does not comply with the requests of Campus Security Officers or Provost and the parent/guardian cannot be located, local law enforcement officers will be called. If the parent/guardian cannot be located and local law enforcement has been called, the child will be taken to a secure area to wait for local law enforcement to arrive.
- Repeat instances of an employee not following this procedure may result in disciplinary action.
Procedure ES4616 - MINOR CHILDREN ON CAMPUS
Policy GP901 - Conduct of Campus Visitors
Policy HR411 - Discipline
Policy HR417 - Employee Conduct and Conflict of Interest
Adopted: August 26, 2010
March 20, 2018
September 1, 2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)