Feb 21, 2024
HR3240 - Complaint Procedure
Section: HUMAN RESOURCES PROCEDURES
SubSection: GENERAL INFORMATION
Master List Section: Human Resources
- Institutional Regulations
An employee who believes that College policies or procedures have been violated related to their employment may file a complaint through the College Complaint Procedure, if the matter is not covered by a collective bargaining agreement, does not involve alleged discrimination, and has not been filed with a state or federal agency.
- Complaint Procedure
- Step 1 - Informal
- The complainant shall meet with their immediate supervisor within 15 working days of the day the complainant became aware of, or should have become aware of, the alleged violation through the reasonable exercise of diligence.
- The supervisor shall respond to the complainant regarding his/her complaint within 10 working days of their meeting.
- Step 2
- If the complainant is not satisfied with the Step 1 response, they may submit a Complaint form (P-46) to the next higher level authority within 5 working days from receipt of the response.
- The next higher level of authority may elect to meet with the complainant and any other parties deemed appropriate if additional information is needed. The authority shall issue a written response as soon as a reasonable investigation can be concluded, but no longer than 45 calendar days from the receipt of the complaint.
- Step 3
- If the complainant is not satisfied with the Step 2 response, they may submit the Complaint form to the next higher level authority within 5 working days from receipt of the response.
- The next higher level authority shall meet with the complainant or conduct an investigation to determine the facts of the case.
- If a meeting is held, it shall be held within 10 working days from receipt of the complaint form, and a written response shall be issued to the complainant within 10 working days following the meeting.
- If an investigation is conducted, a written response shall be issued within 45 calendar days from the receipt of the complaint.
- Step 4
- If the complainant is not satisfied with the Step 4 response, they may request a review of the evidence by the President or designee within 5 working days after receipt of the response.
- The President or designee shall respond to the complainant within 10 working days after receipt of the complaint.
- The decision of the President or designee is final and the complaint will be considered closed.
- Time limits may be extended by written mutual agreement of the parties. If a complainant fails to proceed to the next step within the prescribed time limits, the complaint shall be considered closed based upon the last response. If the administration fails to respond within the prescribed time limits, the complainant may proceed to the next step.
- Complaint forms may be obtained from the DMACC web site, Human Resources, campus Provosts’ offices, and Academic Deans’ offices.
- All records connected with an employee complaint shall be kept in a file separate from the employee’s official personnel file.
Complaint Form (P-46)
Policy HR412 - Formal Complaints
Adopted: October 1, 2002
October 1, 2014
March 20, 2018
July 18, 2018
September 1, 2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)