Feb 28, 2024
BS5509 - Campus Mail Service
Section: BUSINESS SERVICES PROCEDURES
SubSection: PHYSICAL PLANT
Master List Section: Facilities
- Institutional Regulations
A regular system of mail distribution shall be established for the efficient receipt and delivery of inbound and outbound college mail.
- Ankeny Campus
- Mail is defined for this purpose as letters, cards, inter-campus envelopes, flats, and small parcels. Parcels may not weigh over 30 pounds, nor exceed (7”) seven inches in height, (12”) twelve inches wide, and (15”) fifteen inches in length.
- The mail dispatchers do not pick up or deliver audiovisual equipment. The Media Department handles this.
- When pick-up or delivery is required for larger items a work order should be sent to Physical Plant.
- College mail shall be picked up at the Ankeny Post Office each day at 9:00 a.m., sorted and delivered to various established locations in each campus building. Intra-campus mail shall be picked up, sorted and delivered on successive regular delivery rounds. Intra-campus mail should be placed only in the designated intra-campus envelopes.
- Outbound mail must be properly addressed including name or department on return address and zip codes.
- All bulk mailings and express mail (FedEx and UPS) shall be charged back to programs or departments requesting such service.
- Incoming and Outgoing freight charges shall be charged back to the responsible department.
- The mail service personnel shall pick up personal outbound mail only if the correct postage is attached. If the volume of College mail is prohibitive, there is no obligation to handle personal mail.
- Mail service shall be provided to the Urban Campus daily, and to other sites, including Adult Basic Education program at St. Peter’s School in Des Moines, Work Force Development and Transportation Institute on a schedule to be determined by the Director, Physical Plant.
- Incoming Boone Campus mail is sorted and delivered to Building 2 where it is then picked up daily by a Boone Campus courier and delivered to the Boone Campus. The courier is compensated for this delivery as approved by the VP of Business Services. Only mail that can be hand carried is delivered in this fashion. All large mail items are taken to Receiving in Building 5, and delivered to the Boone Campus weekly.
- Incoming Carroll Campus mail is sorted in Building 12, Mailroom and held for pickup by an employee from the Carroll Campus. Employees commuting between Ankeny and Carroll are encouraged to pick up the Carroll mail in Building 12. Intra-campus mail needing immediate delivery should be processed through the US Post Office outgoing mail.
- Incoming Newton Campus mail is sorted in Building 12, Mailroom and held for pickup by a Newton Campus employee. The employee is compensated for this delivery as approved by the VP of Business Services.
- West Lakes mail is sorted and delivered to Building 7 and later taken by an Ankeny Campus employee to the West Lakes site.
Adopted: July 1, 2000
Reviewed: November 2007
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)