Nov 29, 2023
BS5814 - Payment of Claims Against DMACC Funds, Other than Plant and Auxiliary Funds
Section: BUSINESS SERVICES PROCEDURES
SubSection: BUSINESS OFFICE
Master List Section: Business Service
To acquaint all personnel with the procedure which must be followed in payment of claims against Des Moines Area Community College, and to establish the approval authorities required for various claims.
- Institutional Regulations
All payments must be fully supported by appropriate documents, which include, but are not limited to, invoices, purchase orders indicating the budget account to be charged, receiving tickets, and delivery receipts. No payment may be made unless it is properly approved by College personnel directly responsible for the account charged and has been submitted to and approved by the Board of Directors. Exceptions are in the Board Policy.
- Checks will be written on a weekly basis. As noted in procedures no. BS5725 , no manual checks will be written the last three working days of any month. Approved claims, to include all necessary source documents, should be forwarded to the Business Office on a daily basis to insure the earliest possible payment. In addition to this check writing schedule, a special check request may be handled at nonscheduled times for special circumstances if cleared with Controller. All checks issued by the College will be mailed directly from the Business Office to the Payee with the following exceptions:
- Certain checks issued from Agency Fund (Fund 4) Accounts.
- Others with prior approval of the Vice President, Business Services
- All claims for which checks have been prepared, will be reviewed by an appointed committee of the DMACC Board of Directors on a weekly basis. Before submission of the claims for review, a listing will be made of each claim item designating the amount, vendor name, and type of expense. Upon review and satisfactory approval, the Board appointed committee member will sign the listing of claims so approved. Official Board action designating approval of claims so listed will be taken at the next regular Board meeting and the original listing of bills retained as an attachment to the Board minutes.
- No less than two (2) signatures will be required on source documents for all approvals.
- All claims against state or federal specially funded projects require signature approval from the office of Research and Federal Affairs as well as those listed below.
- The Controller’s Department processes all documents related to the payment of claims. Approvals and limits on requisitions for all expenditures in all College funds are the same as those in Purchasing Procedure BS5301
Adopted: July 1, 2000
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)