May 21, 2022
HIT 522 - HIT Prof Prac Exp I Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 8
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course provides supervised clinical experience in health care settings. The clinic site will be arranged for you by the instructor unless your instructor informs you otherwise. Site will be chosen based on proximity to student and availability of HIT-trained, on-site supervisor(s). Emphasis will be placed on practical application of basic concepts in the health care setting. Upon completion, student should be able to apply basic health information management theory to health care facility practices.
Prerequisite: HIT 120 , HIT 125 , HSC 114 , HIT 360 , HIT 390 and HIT 450 with a GPA of 2.0 in all program courses and a 2.0 in all HIT courses or instructor approval
- Organize for practicum experience.
- Formulate Health Information Technology practicum goals.
- Define clear job responsibilities for the practicum.
- Use professionalism and communication skills throughout experience.
- Assess field experience completed.
- Demonstrate appropriate skills in a variety of tasks assigned.
- Identify work-related problems that arise and develop solutions using positive work attitudes.
- Assess progress at halfway point and plan goals for completion of goals by semester’s end.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for skill acquisition throughout program.
- Discuss job performance evaluation.
- Evaluate experience and learnings.
- Review and evaluate practicum site performance.
- Summarize practicum experience with a written and oral report.
- Organize job search skills.
- Compose a resume for an entry-level health IT position.
- Demonstrate successful job interview skills.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Maintain HIPAA compliance.
- Abide by organizational code of ethics.
- Attend the required hours.
- Explore the HIT career.
- Network with professionals and others in the field.
- Attend industry specific webinar or conference.
Competencies Revised Date: 2019
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)