May 19, 2022
PEC 115 - Athletic Dev and Human Growth Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Open
This course will demonstrate an understanding of athletic development and human growth in relationship to physical activity. The class will emphasize the area of children and adolescents.
- Define basic terminology and concepts.
- Define basic terms associated with major developmental theories and stages throughout the lifespan.
- Describe basic concepts associated with physical, cognitive, social and emotional development across the lifespan.
- Discuss human movement across the lifespan.
- Apply developmental principles to everyday situations.
- Relate knowledge of developmental processes, principles, and theories to everyday physical activity.
- Translate knowledge of developmental processes, principles, and theories into practical skills in physical activity.
- Examine the concept of self-esteem in the human growth process.
- Identify physical, cognitive, and socio-emotional changes throughout the lifespan.
- Describe the typical sequence of physical, sensory, and motor changes across the lifespan.
- Describe the typical sequence of cognitive/intellectual and language development across the lifespan.
- Describe the typical sequence of social-emotional across the human lifespan.
- Examine the development similarities and differences on individuals at each stage throughout the lifespan.
- Compare normative development with the range of individual differences at each stage of the lifespan.
- Differentiate historical, cultural, and cohort effects on developmental similarities and differences of individuals at each stage of the lifespan
- Apply critical thinking skills to lifespan development topics as related to athletics for children and adolescents.
- Differentiate individual, gender, and multi-cultural developmental differences.
- Examine individual differences in development from modes and theories of human development.
- Explain gender differences using developmental theories and models.
- Implement athletic activities with an understanding of individual differences.
- Discuss effective communication skills.
- Examine communication with the athletes.
- Examine communication with the coach.
- Examine communication with the parent.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)