Nov 29, 2023
APP 109 - Creative Design Foundations Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Introduction to design theory and the creative process with a focus on fashion products. Students will explore the elements and principles of design, color theory, sources of inspiration, and fashion illustration. Emphasis on design communication and presentation using industry standards. Students complete an unconventional garment.
- Evaluate designs against the essential principles and elements of good design.
- Investigate the Principles of Design and their applicability to fashion products.
- Investigate the Elements of Design and their applicability to fashion products.
- Use essential design concepts and language.
- Employ the basic principles of color theory.
- Examine the fashion figure proportions and forms.
- Sketch a 10-head fashion figure by hand.
- Draw front, back, and profile views.
- Demonstrate a variety of fashion figure poses.
- Sketch the details of face, hair, hands, and feet.
- Draw garments and accessories.
- Render using markers and colored pencils
- Practice basic marker and colored pencil rendering.
- Illustrate fabric textures and patterns.
- Illustrate various drapery and construction details.
- Use garment terminology to communicate apparel design concepts.
- Identify garment categories and styles.
- Name the components and details of garments.
- Express design lines and silhouettes.
- Explain the fit and fit details of a garment.
- Evaluate the aspects of apparel design.
- Identify the characteristics of functional design.
- Determine how structural design affects garment design.
- Identify types and placement of decorative design.
- Examine creative methods of thinking.
- Identify creative influencers.
- Examine avant-garde design.
- Experiment with unconventional textile materials.
- Create a wearable avant-garde design.
- Demonstrate the design process for a collection.
- Use design research methods and resources.
- Compile research and documentation in sketchbooks.
- Forecast emerging design trends.
- Identify a theme.
- Discover creativity and inspiration.
- Create visual concept boards, which include mood, textile, & color.
- Render an originally designed fashion collection using the fashion figure.
- Assemble presentation boards using cutting and layout skills.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)