May 26, 2022
DRA 125 - Introduction to Play Analysis Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: General
A detailed discovery of the fundamental structure of widely produced and emerging dramatic literature. Students will focus on reading, analyzing, discussing, and interpreting plays as written and with intent on how analysis practically affects production of a play. Attendance at a theatrical performance required.
- Examine the foundational elements of a theatrical production.
- Establish which aspects are fundamental to the majority of effective plays.
- Relate effective elements between varieties of plays.
- Examine the foundational structure of effective storytelling.
- Break down each fundamental aspect of effective plot.
- Infer the potential effectiveness of non-traditional plot structure.
- Distinguish how script analysis is different for directors, actors, and designers.
- Analyze a play (or scenes within) from various professionally oriented perspectives.
- Compare the differences in analyses with attention to putting analysis into practice.
- Classify the benefits of effective play analysis.
- Determine how analysis is practically applied to work on stage in performance.
- Outline the process of analytical ideation to production realization.
- Interpret plays with intent to produce them.
- Distinguish specific effective elements that may propel a play to a clear and interesting production.
- Organize a cohesive and effective analysis for each play read.
- Compare and contrast variant analyses of individual plays.
- Defend one’s interpretation of effective analyses.
- Assess the effectiveness of peer’s analyses with considerate criticism.
- Develop an ability to constructively receive feedback.
- Assess effective non-traditional play structure.
- Differentiate fundamental elements of non-traditional plays from traditional ones.
- Justify non-traditional effective analyses.
- Measure effective production outcomes of play analysis.
- Point out examples of effective aspects within staged productions.
- Correlate those effective aspects to fundamentals of play analysis.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)