Feb 07, 2023
CET 210 - PCC/HMA Plant Inspection Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course will develop a working knowledge of hot mix asphalt and Portland cement concrete plant operations, plant control, sampling and testing. Iowa Department of Transportation materials certifications (PCC II, HMA I) will be given to students upon successful completion of state certification exams given during the course.
Prerequisite: CET 110 or instructor approval
- Describe the production of Portland cement concrete.
- Discuss concrete materials.
- Discuss influences of materials on performance of concrete.
- Calculate batch weights for Portland cement concrete.
- Discuss proportioning materials.
- Utilize absolute volumes to calculate batch weights.
- Understand specific gravities, how they are determined, and how they are used in batch weight calculations.
- Explain the effects of moisture content on batch weights.
- Calculate wet and dry batch weights.
- Adjust water and aggregate weights to account for moisture in the aggregate.
- Define the water cement ratio and its importance in concrete production.
- Perform moisture and water cement ratio calculations.
- Describe the sampling and testing requirements for Portland cement concrete plant control.
- Explain aggregate sampling and testing requirements.
- Explain moisture sampling and testing requirements.
- Explain plastic concrete sampling and testing requirements.
- Explain the requirements of the Certified Plant Inspector.
- Utilize IM 527 to explain Paving Plant inspection.
- Utilize IM 528 to explain Structural Plant inspection.
- Compare and contrast the difference between paving plant and structural plant inspection.
- Analyze the basic ingredients in Hot Mix Asphalt.
- Explain performance graded asphalt binder.
- Describe the aggregates used in hot mix asphalt and their required properties.
- Apply volumetrics to understand the relationship between mass and volume.
- Explain the importance of air in the asphalt mix.
- Discuss asphalt plant production.
- Understand the differences between drum and batch plants.
- Describe the flow of material in each type of plant.
- Explain the calibration process.
- Discuss weighing equipment specifications.
- Describe the sampling and testing requirements for hot mix asphalt material components.
- Explain aggregate sampling.
- Explain Asphalt Binder sampling.
- Explain Uncompacted Mix sampling and perform hands-on testing.
- Explain compacted mix sampling and perform hands-on testing.
- Calculate volumetric properties using test results and information obtained from the Job Mix Formula.
- Perform required daily calculations.
- Identify if the resultant answer meets specification requirements.
- Identify the ramifications if the results are not within specifications.
- Utilize the Asphalt Plant Program to document daily data and calculate pay to the contractor.
- Input daily data into the asphalt plant program.
- Utilize tools available in the software program to calculate pay.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)