Aug 12, 2022
ASM 244 - Practicum V: Environmental Services Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 5
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Open
Emphasis on administrator’s responsibilities in housekeeping, laundry, and maintenance departments. This course satisfies 80 environmental services clock hours required by The Iowa Board of Nursing Home Administrators.
- Assess the relationship between the department and the resident’s care, health, and well-being.
- Appraise the importance of work/cleaning schedules for the housekeeping, laundry, and maintenance department.
- Investigate necessary equipment and furniture repair processes.
- Assess the cleaning schedule of residents’ rooms.
- Evaluate the cleaning schedules related to non-resident areas.
- Rate the importance of a clean, orderly, well-maintained, and pleasant appearing facility.
- Propose the importance of proper supplies and storage for maintenance, housekeeping, and laundry.
- Establish what is involved to maintain odor control.
- Establish appropriate building and grounds maintenance programs (summer and winter).
- Appraise the importance of an infection control program.
- Relate the importance of well-maintained heating, cooling and plumbing systems of residents.
- Appraise the sprinkler maintenance systems.
- Evaluate disaster preparedness programs and procedures.
- Evaluate emergency lighting requirement procedures.
- Assess the preventive maintenance program.
- Evaluate how the department is empowered by the administration.
- Appraise the administrator’s supportive relationships within the department.
- Evaluate the supervisor’s and administrator’s responsibilities and job descriptions.
- Review each staff person’s position, authority, and responsibility.
- Investigate the supervisor’s cost control process and cost effectiveness measures.
- Assess job descriptions and work schedules.
- Assess the importance of equipment manuals and guides.
- Explain all rules and regulations in appropriate manuals and documents relating to environmental services.
- Comment on the national electrical code.
- Explain the quality assurance and continuous quality improvement process.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)