HCM 170 - Culinary Cuisine Lab
Lecture Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 6
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Preparation of intricate and difficult classical cuisine dishes. Students will rotate through the cooking stations of the traditional brigade kitchen and then prepare food for service to the public. A la carte preparation is emphasized.
Prerequisite: HCM 167
Prerequisite OR Corequisite: HCM 168
1. Evaluate a variety of basic stocks.
- Describe the functions of the ingredients in stock preparation.
- Produce stocks needed for soups and sauces.
- Evaluate the quality of a properly made stock.
2. Critique a variety of grand sauces and small sauces needed for restaurant service.
- Produce grand sauces.
- Evaluate the quality of a properly made grand sauce.
- Produce small sauces.
- Evaluate the quality of a properly made small sauce.
3. Assess a variety of soups.
- Understand the application needed for each soup production.
- Produce soups needed for restaurant service.
- Evaluate the quality of a properly made soup.
4. Decide on a variety of salads and salad dressings needed for restaurant service.
- Produce and dress greens for a salad.
- Evaluate the quality of a properly prepared and dressed salad.
- Produce a variety of composed salads.
- Evaluate the quality of composed salads.
- Prepare a variety of salad dressings and evaluate the quality of each.
5. Assess a variety of sautéed foods using the sauté techniques.
- Demonstrate the ability to sauté foods using the flipping motion.
- Demonstrate the ability to cook food to the proper doneness by sautéing.
- Evaluate the quality of sautéed items.
6. Critique a variety of food products by roasting or baking.
- Roast meats, poultry, and fish to the correct doneness to develop the best flavor and texture in the finished dish.
- Evaluate the quality of roasted items.
7. Assess a variety of grilled or broiled food products.
- Grill or broil foods to the proper doneness.
- Evaluate the quality of grilled or broiled items.
8. Critique the process of stewing and braising various food products noting similarities and differences.
- Braise and stew foods to the proper doneness.
- Evaluate the quality of braised and stewed items.
9. Evaluate the process of shallow-poaching, poaching and simmering various food items.
- Prepare shallow-poached foods properly and produce a sauce that incorporates the cooking liquid.
- Prepare a court bouillon for poaching various food items.
- Poach and simmer foods to the proper doneness.
- Evaluate the quality of poached and simmered foods.
10. Judge protein cookery
- Perform basic fabrication tasks with various meats, poultry, fin fish and shellfish.
- Demonstrate proper roast meat carving and slicing techniques.
11. Assess duties of the boulangerie station.
- Produce a variety of breads and bread products for table bread service.
- Evaluate bread products via standard quality product specifications.
12. Perform duties of the dessert station.
- Produce a signature dessert for restaurant service.
- Construct high-end plate presentation for all desserts.
- Decorate and garnish desserts.
13. Manage wheel/expediter duties for restaurant service.
- Report new ticket received from printer.
- Communicate food item needs from ticket to station leaders.
- Prioritize items based on timing of service.
- Assist plating all food items.
- Organize completed ticket food items in window for service.
- Prepare a variety of vegetables, starches, legumes ,and grains using basic cooking techniques.
14. Evaluate sanitation and safety.
- Demonstrate good personal hygiene and health habits in a laboratory setting.
- Demonstrate acceptable procedures when preparing potentially hazardous foods to include time/temperature principles.
15. Assess ordered items for service to the public.
- Produce all subassemblies (mise en place) for on-line menu item production.
- Produce all items to order in an on-line setting in a timely fashion.
- Finish products by taste, smell, and appearance as needed for standard quality product.
- Plate and present all complete on-line ordered menu items.
- Use with ease all kitchen equipment.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)