Sep 19, 2021
ACC 353 - Excel for Entrepreneurs Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 4
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course introduces the student to the benefits, uses and design of financial and accounting spreadsheets. Provides the student with knowledge of Excel spreadsheet calculations and tools and allows them to practice layout and design techniques intended to provide clear, concise data for business analysis and decision-making. Course will emphasize designs unique to a small business environment. Students will also learn 10-key operations with an emphasis on speed and accuracy.
Prerequisite OR Corequisite: ACC 111 or ACC 131
- Discuss the importance of spreadsheets in a small business/entrepreneurial environment.
- Describe the pervasive use of spreadsheets in all aspects of the accounting field.
- Discuss the importance of spreadsheet skills to employability and job security.
- Explain how spreadsheets enhance productivity in managing and analyzing data.
- Explain how spreadsheets can assist in decision making and evaluation for businesses.
- Demonstrate an understanding of worksheet operations.
- Open, save, close and retrieve a worksheet.
- Enter text and numbers.
- Select a data range.
- Cut, copy and paste data, including special paste functions.
- Insert and delete cells, rows and columns.
- Name, add, copy and move multiple worksheets within a workbook.
- Insert headers and footers.
- Format cells in a worksheet.
- Change font and type sizes and attributes.
- Adjust column height and width.
- Merge cells and wrap text.
- Apply cell colors, patterns, borders, style and conditional formatting.
- Apply appropriate accounting formatting including dollar signs and commas.
- Employ time saving techniques.
- Copy formulas using the fill handle.
- Perform calculations and format the worksheet using AutoSum, Autofit, AutoCalculate, Format Painter and Styles functions.
- Update data and formulas using Find and Replace functions.
- Utilize keyboard shortcuts for various tasks and functions.
- Create charts from input data.
- Create column, bar and pie charts.
- Enhance charts with data labels and legends.
- Apply chart formatting and styles.
- Edit source data and data series.
- Generate formulas and functions.
- Create formulas with addition, subtraction, multiplication and division operators.
- Apply formulas using correct relative or absolute cell references.
- Use formulas with named ranges.
- Use SUM, AVERAGE, MAXIMUM, MINIMUM, COUNT, COUNTA functions.
- Build a conditional formula with the IF function.
- Apply OR and NOT logical functions.
- Use VLOOKUP functions.
- Adjust decimals by using the ROUND function.
- Create formulas using nested calculations to solve problems such as net price and discounts.
- Use Excel correctly to solve problems involving percentages.
- Use formulas to calculate future values, mortgage payments and car payments.
- Manage workbook data.
- Freeze columns and rows.
- Utilize tables and outline features.
- Utilize filter and sort features to organize and analyze data.
- Protect and unprotect specific worksheet cells.
- Protect and unprotect entire worksheets.
- Formulate pivot tables.
- Specify pivot table column and row fields.
- Modify pivot table totals and values.
- Utilize pivot table filters and slicers.
- Discuss best practices for worksheet design and maintenance.
- Design and build a minimum of eight of the following spreadsheets.
- Develop a small business plan including budgeted balance sheet and income statement.
- Design a three month cash flow projection.
- Create a multi-year fixed asset depreciation schedule utilizing the straight-line method.
- Develop a gain/loss calculation on the sale of fixed assets.
- Estimate bad debt expense using aging of receivables (allowance method).
- Design a schedule of inventory mark-up/mark down.
- Develop a sales tax lookup.
- Calculate income tax estimates.
- Design a sales report including charts and analysis.
- Create a profitability and break-even analysis.
- Perform financial ratio analysis.
- Design a Pro-forma income statement including vertical analysis and various “what-if” scenarios utilizing percentage and dollar changes.
- Customize the following business forms using available templates and Excel styles and themes to create a consistent look and feel for company documents.
- Create an expense report.
- Develop a travel/mileage log.
- Prepare a job estimates template.
- Create work schedule forms.
- Create a portfolio
- Develop Excel spreadsheet templates for use in the real world
- Combine the spreadsheet templates into usable portfolio
- Achieve designated accuracy and speed in operating an electronic 10-key keypad in a timed situation.
- Show correct finger placement on the 10-key pad.
- Demonstrate correct 10-key technique.
- Demonstrate the ability to key numeric material by touch.
Competencies Revised Date: 2019
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)