May 20, 2022
CIS 932 - CIS Internship Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 8
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course provides a semi-structured experience in the field of computer information technology working as an intern with a local business. The student has the opportunity to network with professionals and employers in his or her field. The student will write a resume suitable for employment applications, explore employment opportunities and practice job interview skills.
Prerequisite: Instructor Approval: Successful completion of at least 12 credits in CIS or MDT courses with a grade of B or above. Students must arrange an internship with a local business prior to enrolling in this course.
- Classify the various tasks performed in an IT/Developer job
- List each separate task assigned
- Outline the sequence in which each task is performed.
- Identify those aspects of each task that require the application of software development knowledge.
- Describe the steps used to train an individual to do each assigned task.
- Increase occupational proficiencies
- List the required IT skills involved in the internship
- Identify which skills need to be learned/practiced.
- Outline ways in which these skills are learned/practiced.
- Develop steps for learning/practicing skills.
- Apply the steps developed.
- Develop a set of objectives for a given task.
- List all desired goals of internship.
- Select six of the most appropriate goals listed
- List all activities to achieve goals.
- Describe appropriate evaluations for determining when goals are achieved.
- Select one evaluation for each goal.
- Meet report deadlines.
- List required reports.
- Identify recipients of reports.
- Show the due date of each report.
- Clarify the contents of each report.
- Complete report forms as required.
- Turn in reports to identified recipients
- Conform to employer policies and procedures.
- Identify employer expectations for an intern.
- List all employer policies and procedures to be complied with.
- Recognize differences between internship-employer policies and policies of other employers.
- Name probable reasons for company policies listed.
- Identify possible work-related problems in absence of policies.
- Observe all company policies that are applicable to interns.
- Develop knowledge of people skills required by a professional in the IT field.
- Follow a specified dress code.
- Display a positive attitude.
- Show good performance.
- Attend the required hours.
- Explore an IT Career
- Network with professionals and employers in your career field.
- Develop a resume suitable for an employment search.
- Discuss and practice job interview skills.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)