May 19, 2022
BUS 278 - Employment Law Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Open
Emphasis is on the principles of business law as it pertains to the human resource function. The course covers laws applicable to selection, testing, hiring, discipline, personnel policies and procedures. The course also covers Equal Employment laws and related discrimination issues. The Occupational Safety and Health Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, and workers compensation topics are discussed as they relate to the business environment.
Prerequisite: BUS 185
- Compare the relationship the employee and general contractor.
- Identify Internal Revenue Service guidelines for determining who is an employee.
- List legal issues when hiring employees as opposed to independent contractors.
- Explain considerations of obtaining worker?s compensation insurance and liability insurance.
- Explain the employment-at-will doctrine.
- Demonstrate basic principles of ethical and legal hiring.
- Write job descriptions that comply with employment law.
- Explain why job descriptions are necessary.
- Explain legal interviewing methods and questions.
- Identify legal aspects of applicant testing.
- Discuss legal aspects of applicant investigation.
- Explain issues involved in employment documents.
- Demonstrate proper handling of employee files.
- Explain importance of employee handbooks and important issues in their implementation.
- Understand legal aspects of the employee evaluation process.
- Describe the legal aspects of the discipline process.
- Identify laws and issues in compensation.
- Explain minimum wage and overtime requirements.
- Discuss Equal Pay requirements.
- Understand record-keeping requirements.
- Explain payroll withholding laws.
- List the consequences of bending the rules.
- Explain types of and legal issues involved in employee benefits.
- Explain legally required benefits.
- Explain the types of optional employer provided benefits.
- Define the types of retirement plans and the related laws.
- Discuss legal issues in determining eligibility for benefits.
- Discuss the types of employment taxes.
- Explain federal employment taxes.
- Demonstrate how to apply for an Employer Identification number.
- Legal requirements for independent contractors and employees.
- Identify and apply the major parts of the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Explain who is eligible for FMLA.
- Describe eligible leaves.
- Discuss employer obligations.
- Discuss and apply the requirements of the Occupational Safety and health Act.
- Explain federal and state employee safety laws.
- Identify notification requirements for hazardous substances.
- Understand coverage requirements for Workers’ Compensation.
- Understand the types of illegal discrimination.
- Identify the protected groups under title VII of the Civil Rights Act and related laws.
- Identify the types of sexual harassment.
- Explain discrimination regarding age, pregnancy and citizenship.
- Explain the application of state and local laws regarding discrimination.
- Explain laws and obligations regarding workers with disabilities.
- Explain the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Discuss the types of disabilities covered by the act.
- Explain the businesses covered by the act.
- Explain reasonable accommodations.
- Explain legal aspects of terminating employees.
- Discuss reasons for termination and their implications.
- Explain legal issues in the termination process.
- Identify laws regarding continuation of insurance benefits.
- Discuss current issues in employee privacy.
- Explain laws and issues involved in working with unions.
- Explain the provisions of the National Labor Relations Act.
- Identify the worker’s rights in the union organizing process.
- Explain the legal issues in the contract negotiation process.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)