May 20, 2022
BUS 141 - Small Business Start-Up Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course includes information, examples, forms and activities needed for a business start-up and for development of a successful business operation. Topics include market research and assessment, naming your business, finding a location, determining asset needs and forecasting sales, identifying job tasks and determining human resource needs, and writing a business plan.
- Identify research strategies for business startup and development.
- Create and assess startup ideas.
- Determine methods used in researching and assessing the marketplace.
- Describe criteria used to identify a market niche.
- List methods used to identify and characterize a target market.
- Determine the appropriate and/or legal requirements for starting a business.
- List criteria used to select business name.
- Identify site selection criteria.
- Differentiate between the legal structure formations of a business.
- Determine items and assets that need to be legally protected by registration, patent, copyright, or trademark.
- Determine the steps for securing your company name and licenses.
- Determine the marketing strategies necessary to get a business started.
- Identify promotional tools used to present your business.
- Determine image, advertising, selling and public relation strategies.
- Summarize the financial needs projections that must be identified before starting your small business.
- Prepare a preliminary sales forecast.
- Prepare a preliminary balance sheet.
- Prepare a preliminary profit and loss statement.
- Prepare cash flow projections.
- Determine types and amount of insurance that business should consider.
- Identify types of bookkeeping systems that can be used for your small business.
- Determine the types of records that you will need.
- Prepare a cash needs projection list.
- Assess human resource needs for your business.
- Determine your strategies for employee recruiting process.
- Identify methods used in the hiring process.
- Describe methods used to get employees oriented and trained for opening day.
- Demonstrate understanding of your business focus and operations strategy by developing a winning business plan for your business.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)