May 19, 2022
BMA 167 - Steam Plant Operations Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
High-pressure steam boilers, operation, controls, burning equipment instruments.
Prerequisite OR Corequisite: BMA 165
- Identify boiler types
- Explain fundamental principles of low pressure steam boilers
- Explain fundamental principles of high pressure (power) steam boilers
- Discuss fundamental principles of firetube steam boilers
- Explain the operation of firetube steam boilers
- Identify and discuss three common types of firetube steam boilers
- List advantages of watertube steam boilers
- Identify and discuss two common types of watertube steam boilers
- Discuss ASME code standards
- Discuss NFPA 85 and NFPA 86 code standards
- Understand functions of steam boiler fittings and requirements
- Explain the requirements for fitting use
- Explain the purpose and function of safety valves
- Explain the purpose of the water column and the uses of its various attachments.
- Be familiar with water column requirements per ASME code.
- Explain the fundamental principles of steam pressure gauges, boiler vents, and steam separators.
- Understand fundamental boiler room systems
- Explain the operation of a steam system
- Explain the operation of a feedwater system
- List considerations for fuel systems
- Identify and describe types of fuel systems
- Identify and explain types of draft systems
- Understand fundamental steam and water accessories
- Describe feedwater heaters
- Explain and identify feedwater pumps
- Describe a surge tank.
- Explain the condensate tank and pump unit.
- Describe a main feedwater line
- Describe an identify types of feedwater regulators
- Identify and describe types of steam traps.
- Describe a desuperheating and pressure-reducing station
- Understand fundamental fuel burning equipment
- Describe the types of fuel oil burners
- Explain the operation of pressure atomizing burners
- Describe the types of steam atomizing burners
- List and describe fuel oil accessories.
- List the common components of high pressure gas burners.
- List the components of low pressure gas burners
- Describe combination gas/fuel oil burners.
- List and describe the components of stokers
- Explain how waste heat can be utilized
- Understand draft fundamentals
- Define draft and explain why it is needed in a steam boiler
- Explain how draft is measured
- Explain the operation of manometer and diaphragm draft gauges.
- List and describe the uses of natural draft.
- List and describe the types of mechanical draft
- List and describe the types of air heaters and their use
- Describe the gas and fuel oil draft system
- Describe chain grate stoker and pulverized coal draft systems
- Discuss fundamentals of Combustion
- Identify three types of fuels for combustion and considerations for selecting a type of fuel.
- Describe the use of coal as a fuel for combustion
- Describe the use of fuel oil as a fuel for combustion
- Describe the use of natural gas as a fuel for combustion
- Identify fuel storage and handling procedures
- Discuss environmental regulations involved in storage and handling.
- Describe the combustion of fuels
- Define furnace volume and identify considerations related to furnace volume.
- Identify products of combustion and methods of analysis.
- Exam and discuss combustion controls.
- Explain the purpose of automatic combustion controls and identify the four basic types of combustion control systems.
- Describe the ON/OFF control system.
- Describe the modulating controls system
- Describe the positioning control system.
- Identify controls for air for combustion and gases for combustion.
- Identify the function of building/plant automation controls and describe the role played by building/plant operation controls.
- Be able to troubleshoot flame safeguard systems
- Discuss boiler water treatment systems
- Explain the need for boiler water treatment
- List and describe the problems that can result from improper boiler water conditions
- Explain how boiler water analysis is done
- List and describe the methods of external boiler water treatment.
- Describe an automatic blowdown system
- Discuss steam boiler operation
- List common duties and responsibilities of a boiler operator
- Describe the responsibilities of a boiler operator when taking over a shift.
- List and describe cold plant start-up procedures.
- List and describe live plant start-up procedures.
- Explain boiler inspection procedures.
- Describe common emergency procedure a boiler operator should be aware of.
- List common routine boiler plant maintenance procedures.
- List and describe boiler room safety practices and procedures.
- Describe lockout tag out techniques used in steam equipment.
- Perform steam calculations
- Be able to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius and vise-versa
- Be able to estimate heating surface area of a boiler
- Be able to calculate volume in gallons of various tank shapes
- Be able to calculate boiler horsepower (BHP) of a boiler system
- Be able to convert Kilowatts to HP and vise-versa
- Understand steam tables and the characteristics of steam and different pressures and temperatures.
- Be able to convert to/from PSI, inches water column (W.C.), inches mercury (Hg), and feet of head
- Explain what pressure, temperature, enthalpy, and energy are. Explain how they are related
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)