May 17, 2022
AVM 112 - Aircraft Electrical Systems Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 4
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Electrical systems of aircraft will be covered in this course. Areas of study will include servicing of wire, controls, switches, indicators, protective devices, AC/ DC electrical systems, constant speed and integrated speed drive generators, crimping, wiring inspection, repairing pins and sockets of aircraft connectors.
- Install, check, and service airframe electrical wiring, controls, switches, indicators, and protective devices.
- Investigate the types and characteristics of aircraft fuses, circuit breakers and switches.
- Describe the means and methods of selecting and installing aircraft electrical switches and wiring to components
- Perform installation for aircraft electrical wiring systems and junction boxes to include the following:
- Install electrical terminals, splices and bonding jumpers.
- Installing aircraft electrical wiring in a conduit.
- Check and connect of quick-disconnect plugs and receptacles.
- Describe the means by which emergency switches are protected from accidental actuation
- Identify and describe the characteristics of aircraft high tension and low tension electrical wiring
- Inspect, check, troubleshoot, service and repair alternating and direct current electrical systems
- Explain the methods of controlling output current and voltage of compound DC generators
- Check, troubleshoot, and repair an aircraft dual DC generator electrical system
- Investigate the methods of providing AC power in aircraft having only DC electrical systems
- Troubleshoot and repair a DC electrical system supplied by an alternator.
- Investigate the characteristics and advantages of A.C. aircraft electrical systems. Describe the following
- The student will be able to identify components and operating elements of a high voltage A.C. aircraft electrical system. Explain the following:
- Inspect, check and troubleshoot constant speed and integrated speed drive generators
- Identify components and operation of a constant speed drive unit. Describe the following
- Repair and inspect aircraft electrical system components; crimp and wiring to manufacturers’ specifications; and repair pins and sockets of aircraft connectors.
- Determine causes and effects of switch chatter in solenoid switches and relays.
- Inspect the installation and check the circuits of anti-collision and position lights
- Inspect, check, and repair landing and taxi light installations.
- Inspect, check, service, and repair aircraft interior lighting installations.
- Inspect, check, service and repair cockpit lights and lighting circuits.
- Inspect and check electrical equipment installations for integrity of mounting and connections
- Investigate the inspection, checking and repair of passenger call systems.
- Explain the means by which the student can locate replacement procedures and parts numbers for electrical component replacement
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)