Mar 29, 2023
AGH 161 - Irrigation Systems Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
A study of the design, installation, use, repair and maintenance of the different types of irrigation systems used in the production of horticulture crops. Irrigation system components, materials and estimates of operation costs will be discussed.
- Compare and contrast the various types of irrigation systems used to produce crops.
- Correlate different horticulture crops and associated watering/irrigation methods.
- Name the different irrigation systems commonly used to produce the different horticulture crops.
- Attend field trips to assess different irrigation systems.
- Summarize the components of the various irrigation systems.
- List a variety of water sources
- Describe the functions of anti-backflow devices.
- Name the different types of valves used in different systems.
- Discuss the functions of controllers.
- Explain the various wetting actions of different emitters.
- Identify quick-couplers and associated function
- Assess various piping materials
- Give examples of piping materials used
- List advantages and disadvantages of different piping materials.
- Characterize the relationship of soils, plants, and water.
- Describe the soil properties of porosity and permeability.
- Identify the impact of soil amendments on porosity and permeability.
- State plant water requirements and variations in water use rates.
- Asses the impact of the soil on the plants’ water requirements.
- Distinguish variations in water quality due to variable water sources.
- Discuss limited water resources and associated demands for water.
- Evaluate companies currently dealing in irrigation systems.
- List the companies specializing in materials supply, system design, installation and maintenance.
- Discuss strengths and weaknesses of various companies.
- Formulate the costs of a basic irrigation system
- List the component parts and prices.
- Estimate the numbers of each listed component needed to complete the system.
- Calculate the complete system component costs.
- Estimate the total number of hours of labor needed for the installation of the system
- Total the installed price of the designed system.
- Outline irrigation problems.
- Detect common irrigation system problem areas.
- Determine the causes of common irrigation system problems.
- Analyze whether or not plants are receiving appropriate irrigation applications.
- Correct basic irrigation problems
- Determine the parts and tools needed to fix the problem.
- Apply an appropriate solution to solve an irrigation problem.
- Operate a basic irrigation system.
- Use mechanical and electric irrigation control systems.
- Determine when plants require irrigation applications.
- Calculate the amount of water being applied.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)