Sep 19, 2021
ADM 221 - Career Development Skills Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
The course covers aspects of professional career placement including various interview methods, job application materials, electronic career portfolios, digital footprint and professional image, as well as negotiating the job offer. Prepare a cover letter, resume, letter of acceptance, resignation letter, thank you letter, and answers for behavioral interview questions.
- Assess the job search process.
- Explain the need to plan the job search process.
- Describe how a job search is conducte.
- Utilize job-seeking methods, (as appropriate with current trends for each industry such as on-line applications, via social media, etc.)to the job search process.
- Give examples of ways job or career decisions affect an individual’s life.
- Identify job wants and needs which offer work satisfaction.
- Convert individual strengths to match employer needs.
- Develop a personal inventory.
- Identify interests, aptitudes, skills, experiences and accomplishments.
- List job related strengths.
- Discuss how individual weaknesses can be communicated in a positive way.
- Write clear and concise short, intermediate and long term career goals.
- Define the ideal job or position being sought.
- Complete a personal and professional reference list.
- Review your online presence/foot-print and understand “digital citizenship”.
- Assess the job market.
- Identify an employer target market.
- Prepare a list of network sources for assistance in identifying prospective employers.
- Conduct an interview with an individual working in the career goal position.
- Demonstrate proper telephone/email/communication techniques to gain appointments.
- Develop a job seeking promotional portfolio.
- Prepare a personal resume.
- Write a letter of application.
- Complete an employment application properly.
- Write a follow-up letter to the interviewer.
- Establish a professional online presence with a platform such as Linked-In and/or an electronic portfolio.
- Compile and assemble an employment resource binder.
- Prepare for the employment interview.
- Identify necessary steps to prepare for the interview.
- Plan appropriate interview attire/image.
- Prepare responses for commonly asked interview questions.
- Demonstrate the proper technique for greeting the interviewer.
- Demonstrate ways to sell oneself during the interview.
- Prepare questions to ask the interviewer.
- Role play the appropriate techniques for a phone/web interview.
- Demonstrate the proper way to end the interview.
- Identify proper techniques in negotiating starting salary and/or employment benefits.
- Examine job transition strategies.
- Determine ways to adapt to a new work place environment.
- Discuss appropriate exit techniques from a current position.
- Become aware of and prepare for your role in an exit interview.
- Create a letter of resignation.
- Analyze transferable skills and the best strategies for a career change.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)